Mel's Reviews > The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted

The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted by Andrew E. Kaufman

Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: borrowed
Read from April 29 to 30, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Part 2: Now that I've finished the book, I can finish my "review." (It's not much of one.) I'm giving this four stars out of five for the simple fact that I tore through it: I wanted to know what happened next (and read more of Patrick's back-story). There's something a little misleading in the book that made me reject the early notion that Patrick was Nathan. Patrick mentions something about writing professionally for 20 years, so I figured he couldn't be Nathan since I doubted that he was writing professionally at thirteen. Such a switch was also too Mary Higgins Clark and an overused plot device. That's the only reason it didn't get 5 stars.

The descriptions of abuse and gaslighting were tough to read, but were well done, based on discussions I've had with people who had batshit crazy parents (although not as crazy as Camilla). I also liked that there was a female partner who didn't become a love interest.

--------------
Part 1: I'm just at the halfway point and will come back to finish & add my star rating.

The description of this book (either on Amazon or Pixel of Ink, where I found it) really made it sound like the reader was going to have to endure the story of a kidnapping and murder of a child, then jump 30 years forward to present day to meet the actual main character. The rest of the description was intriguing: Patrick finds evidence that his recently deceased mother was very likely involved in the child's death (or was the killer herself).

However, I really didn't want to read that first part - I don't have kids, but have had kids in my life that I loved very much, so reading about such things is something I avoid when I can. Instead of buying the book, I found that I had a chance to borrow it via Amazon Prime, so I took advantage of that opportunity.

I don't think this is a spoiler, but I"m hiding it just in case. The book starts out with the funeral of Patrick's mother, and there are flashbacks of his life with this evil bitch scattered throughout. Patrick is an investigative reporter, exactly the wrong kind of person you want to find evidence of a past crime. I'm so relieved that there wasn't an introduction with the kidnapping - it will probably be covered later in the book, but it didn't start on that note, making it a much more enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted.

04/29/2012
04/30/2012
51.0% "Pretty good so far. I borrowed instead of buying because the description sounded like the first part of the book was going to be very dark and hard to take (I'll put notes in my review with a spoiler tag), but it wasn't and so far it's a decent read."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haley (new)

Haley Wait...are you trying to tell me Andy Kaufman wrote this book?

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel :-D Not the one you're thinking about, I'm sure.

message 3: by Haley (new)

Haley Haha probably not.