~ Becs ~'s Reviews > Cirque de Minuit

Cirque de Minuit by Annabel Joseph

May 02, 12

bookshelves: bdsm-kink, contemporary-romance, cover-lust-i-has-it, erotic-romance, kindle, master-slave-tpe, dark-erotica, smuttastic
Read from April 30 to May 02, 2012

I thought I’d read quite a few Annabel Joseph books but when I look back, I’ve only read Club Mephisto which I very much enjoyed to so I was looking forward to this one. The circus and BDSM sounds like such a mouth-watering combination – all those incredibly fit athletes performing together in perfect harmony in more ways than one.

Kelsey is an ex aspiring American Olympic gymnast who has never quite achieved her aim and has now joined the Cirque du Monde in Paris. She’s mesmerised by Theo, a gypsy king, and his partner Minya, trapeze artists, who she accidentally witnesses induging in some spanking and D/s activity backstage one day. Theo invites her to join them but she runs away, deeply embarrassed. Kelsey cannot keep her eyes off Theo until one day tragedy strikes, their routine goes wrong and Minya plummets to her death right out of Theo’s hands.

Theo holes himself up in booze and grief but Kelsey persistently pursues him and they become lovers and, despite his now tarnished reputation for ‘bad hands’, they decide to move to Cirque du Minuit (The Midnight Circus) in Marseille to perform an aerial silks act. Pictures below as I wasn’t too sure I even knew what that was and had to google it.

How hot is this one……….

Photobucket

Theo tells Kelsey (or Kelzee as he says it in his sinfully sexy French accent) that submission runs deep in her but she must learn to truly submit and she embarks on D/s 101. He ruthlessly teaches her everything he knows and then some and they embark on the Marseille BDSM club scene with the owner of the circus (Le Maitre) and it sure is no Shadowlands but it’s all good.

At first, I wasn’t convinced that I liked either of them. Kelsey is bolshy, outspoken, pushy – not all attributes I’d associate with a sub and Theo had a careless disdain, treated Kelsey with emotional detachment and a Gallic shrug of this shoulders. But they really do grow on you. Their aerial silk act is supposed to be Theo watching Kelsey, a beautiful butterfly, desperate to possess her, to make her his but in doing so he crushes her wings and now he possesses her but he has utterly destroyed her. Will real life mimic their art? In the end it is Kelsey’s incredible strength of character and determination and un-sub like behaviour that rescues their relationship when all seems lost and the last chapter and the epilogue really did reduce me to a puddle.

It’s all good – not very heavy on the BDSM. One club scene, a ménage scene , a little m/m action with Le Maitre and his pets but it’s mostly very romantic BDSM between Theo and Kelsey.

4 stars BDSM erotic romance

After the book there is a teaser chapter for Molly's Lips: Club Mephisto Retold. Can't wait for that one!
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cirque de Minuit.

Quotes ~ Becs ~ Liked

Annabel Joseph
“Do you have some kind of syndrome that makes you act this way, or are you just a rude, socially inept asshole?”
Annabel Joseph, Cirque de Minuit

04/30/2012
1.0% "The circus and BDSM - what a fascinating combination" 1 comment
04/30/2012
12.0% "Not sure I actually like Theo or Kelsey" 4 comments

message 1: by Glamdring (new) - added it

Glamdring Very beautiful review, Becs!

~ Becs ~ Thank-you Glamdring. Very few reviews for this book on here - I hope a few more will read it.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Wow! Great review and such beautiful pictures.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wonderful review and beautiful pics, Becs!

~ Becs ~ Thanks Kristen :-)

~ Becs ~ Thanks Baba - I think you would enjoy this one, especially the european feel.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Becs wrote: "Thanks Baba - I think you would enjoy this one, especially the european feel."

Our Swiss national circus is called Knie--very popular. Their program already included such an "aerial silks act". Oh, and one of the bosses is a former boyfriend of Princess Stephanie. The Grimaldi family is known for their circus addiction. :-)

~ Becs ~ Sounds fabulous. I watched some videos on google after reading this and it is so sensual and so mesmerising.

The circus should be about people and not animals.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter The circus should be about people and not animals.
I agree, Becs. :-)

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly What a fantastic review! Such wonderful, sensual images as well. Way to go, Becs!

~ Becs ~ Thanks Kelly x

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ Great review, Becs! And, the pictures are fabulous!

~ Becs ~ Thanks Rain!

message 14: by Glamdring (new) - added it

Glamdring I added it to my TR list.

~ Becs ~ Hope you enjoy it x