David's Reviews > Comptia Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: Sy0-301 Study Guide

Comptia Security+ by Darril Gibson

May 11, 12

bookshelves: syep-course-development-research, http-books-google-com-books-uid-1
Recommended to David by: A Colleague
Recommended for: Self-Study or Instructors
Read from April 27 to May 09, 2012 — I own a copy

I ordered this book after reading a CompTIA Security+ Exam book by another author. While I thought the book was good, I felt a little anxiety about crossing the line and taking the exam afterwards. I might add, that not only must I pass the exam, but I'm also going to be teaching this course. If others are to follow me, I'm feeling that they might end up feeling like I do (slightly uneasy).

I'm halfway through Darril Gibson's book and I can tell you that you should DEFINITELY read this book before taking your Sec+ exam. You can tell that this is a book written BY AN INSTRUCTOR who understands how people learn. I found this to be an EXCELLENT self-study or a primary book for other Sec+ instructors to use for their training courses and I will be using this book for our Summer Youth Employment (SYEP) 2012 IT training program to teach youth this summer before they head off to college. By going off to college, they'll get credit hours BEFORE they even start! After the summer, we'll be using this book for our Veterans IT training program. If there are any other trainers out there, you won't be sorry if you get this book!

UPDATE: PASSED! Want to get certified? Buy This Book - Study and get it Done.

FYI - For all the people out there who buy the braindumps (Pass4Sure, etc) that give you the test answers for a fee and guarantee you'll pass the exam - there's this thing called a CLEARANCE and you'll never pass the full scope TS w/poly which is where the top earners are in the IT field.

Also, the biggest companies (like Lockheed, Raytheon, Northrup Grumman) are using on-the-job evaluations to actually make sure you KNOW THE SKILLS to go with the certs. I can guarantee that you will be let go, if you use a brain dump rather than actually studying and LEARNING the material to pass the test. Just a though about what I'm observing with the test in comparison to what happens afterwards at the employers.

Because Gibson's books are so well written from an instructor's perspective, you can easily invest the time in yourself by studying, and then passing the exam legitimately. Hope this helps.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comptia Security+.