Josie's Reviews > The FitzOsbornes in Exile

The FitzOsbornes in Exile by Michelle Cooper

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: five-stars, young-adult
Read in April, 2012

This had a different feel to A Brief History Of Montmaray. It was longer, and there was more emphasis on politics and the situation in Europe and so on, as well as Sophie's interest in her debut balls and London society. A Brief History takes place over the course of two and a half months, and it's a contained adventure, tightly plotted and impossible to put down. Yes, it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, but it could be read as a standalone novel, whereas The Fitzosbornes In Exile is definitely the second part of a trilogy. Which isn't to say I liked it any less! Sophie is such an endearing narrator that I could happily read about her life for hours. I enjoyed the dramatic bits (the CRAZED ASSASSIN!) as much as the more mundane aspects, and it was lovely to see more of Toby in this book. There are some wonderful lines between the FitzOsborne family members. (Offhand, the only one I can remember at the moment is when Veronica says, "If it wasn't for Aunt Charlotte's money, they wouldn't even consider me [for marriage], being both a blue-stocking AND a Red." To which Sophie replies, "That would make you a deep shade of purple.") Oh, and I enjoyed seeing Sophie grow up and discover her strengths.

My only gripe with this book was NOT ENOUGH HENRY!!! I can't decide whether I want to be Henry, or whether I wish I had a little sister like her. I particularly loved her adventures with the Basque refugee children, and leading her own Girl Guide troop.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The FitzOsbornes in Exile.