Danielle's Reviews > The Calling of the Grave

Jan 12, 15

bookshelves: mystery-and-thriller, england
Read from April 29 to May 01, 2012

Nothing stays buried forever

Crime writer Simon Beckett is totally unknown in Britain but nevertheless bestselling UK author. ‘Calling the grave’ is his fourth book in the series featuring British forensic anthropologist Dr. David Hunter. Eight years ago Dr. Hunter was part of a forensic team in Dartmoor tasked with finding the remains of two teenage girls, victims of murderer and rapist Jerome Monk. When Jerome Monk escapes from prison and appears to be targeting everyone who was part of the forensic team, David is forced to go back to Dartmoor. Back in Dartmoor he is immediately drawn into a chain of nerve-racking events.

It was indeed a nerve-racking read or better said hear, as I listened to the unabridged audio book version of ‘Calling the grave’. Read by the calm voice of Jonathan Keeble I was dragged into the story from the very beginning till the very end. The big advantage of an audio book is that you can’t read the last part of the book beforehand. You are forced to wait before you know the plot.

The plot was intriguing and it was only -almost at the end of the book- that I became aware of the truth, despite the fact that I was aware it could not just be coincidence. Just like David I could not put my finger on it, I seemed to miss something despite getting all the details. But nothing stays hidden forever, somehow the truth always seems to emerge.

Good voice and a damn good story, that’s all you need as an avid audio book listener.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calling of the Grave.