Vanessa's Reviews > The Raie'Chaelia

The Raie'Chaelia by Melissa Douthit

Jan 30, 13

bookshelves: fiction, dnf, reviewed
Read in January, 2013

Note: This is a review of what I could get through of the book, not the author. Please don't take umbrage with me because I gave it a negative rating. I am in no way jumping on the bandwagon, as late as I may be, and I don't particularly care for author-reader relations drama any more, nor the outpouring of wank that went on last year. I'm bloody exhausted by it, and I'm sick of my friends and I being demonised for having an opinion. Capische? On with the show, then.

The Raie'Chaelia is a fantasy novel that tries so hard but unfortunately gets little right. The fantasy land detailed doesn't make sense, nor does its history. I like to think of world-building as a finely woven tapestry, with solid threading and fine craftsmanship. If you can tear the whole thing apart by tugging at a few flyaway threads, then it's not a very well-crafted setting. One of these threads happens to be the history of this world.

I don't have an extensive background in Archaeology, but I do have a qualification in it, and all my old notes from sixth form at hand. To begin with, we are introduced to the concept of there being an Ice Age so terrible, with such harsh conditions that mankind was forced to live underground. This was a mere two generations ago, as Chalice's 'grandfather' remembers living underground when he was a child. The weather apparently became temperate with the dawning of the new millennium, and mankind built settlements above ground.

No. Just no. Our primordial ancestors who lived during the last Ice Age, ranging from the Mesolithic to the Palaeolithic era – a good 100,000-10,000 years ago – had to live above ground in very small tribes, from what archaeological researchers and anthropologists have been able to find of them.

“Yes,” you cry, “but it's a fantasy world. Mankind's ancestors in this story were skilled magic-users, so perhaps they had technology enough to allow them to go underground.”

That is a point, but... how in the name of Lucius Malfoy did this all happen? Did mankind realise it was getting nippier each winter, and so they got out their shovels and drill-bits and shoved all their technology underground? Why is there electricity in this world? Why are there entire castles and farmhouses constructed with marble? Why are there printing presses efficient enough for collectible editions of books? Moving house is a big enough extravagance, but an entire society coming up with this technology after being forced underground? What? As the old saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day. Historians, from what I recall of my Archaeology classes, generally agree it was built over quite a few decades, maybe even a century or so. Even then, the Romans didn't have electricity, the printing press, or... no. Just no.

The author's intent is made clear in the prologue to the book, in which it is stated that The Raie'Chaelia is supposed to be 'a fantasy story like no other I had read before.'

The trouble is, The Raie'Chaelia is exactly like every other fantasy story out there. It wades through a swamp of tropes, getting all the most trite fantasy clichés stuck on it. (I know, I was never very good with metaphors.)

First of all, the novel begins with a wise and just King being usurped by some evil guy with a moustache. And because the weather likes to pay particular attention to current events, a storm rolls in during this usurpation, and yes, the Evil Moustache Guy kills the king and becomes the new monarch. He also goes on to be a complete tyrant.

A little bit after this, baby Chalice is dropped off on a doorstep, and we then flash forward to her travelling with her horse as a pretty young adult. She's also the only blonde in her typically dark-haired village. There are magic users in this society. Chalice discovers that she is the Chosen One, in fact, the lost princess of this pure, royal bloodline who have the divine right to come back into power... by reading a book which has her name written in a foreign language. Oh, let's not forget, she also has a unique birthmark!

My friend Kaia read this last year, and whilst reading, made note of all the Star Wars tropes that are also stuck in this novel. There's a sagely instructor called Ben. There's an ethereal 'Force' that binds all the world together. There are small, teddy bear-like creatures living in forests. I actually wanted to continue reading because I wanted to make positively certain that there wasn't going to be some ridiculous 'I... am your father.' confrontation at the end, but I couldn't push myself that far.

There's a ridiculous scene where Chalice meets her childhood friend Jeremiah in the town of Branbury. She snoops around a farmhouse, and when he finds her, she kicks him across the room and scolds him for 'sneaking up on a Cantonese'. Jeremiah wonders how she can be from Canton with such fair hair, and Chalice gives us this detailed backstory:

“Yeah, I hear that all the time but I was born and raised there. It’s the truth. I grew up with my Grandfather, Sebastian, and my Grandmother, Naelli. I don’t remember my mother and know virtually nothing of the rest of my family.”

(Page 22)

Wouldn't a simple utterance of “I'm adopted.” have sufficed here? As always, less is more, especially when it comes to writing.

Also, I have no idea how Jeremiah has a fridge, electric lighting, a hot and cold plumbing system, and all the other mod cons... Yet Chalice reacts with bewilderment the first time he flicks a electrical switch. Is there some kind of big divide between the Haves and Have Nots? Is it like late Victorian England, in which richer folks could afford a motor car and electricity, and everyone else had to get by with matches and horse-drawn coaches? None of this is ever explained, and there's no scale on the map provided on the first page, so Naeo'Gaea could be a tiny cluster of countries/provinces, or an enormous continent. Who knows.

The dialogue in this is often really, really banal. This novel seriously suffers from a heck of a lot of info-dumping, in which the world is explained to us in staggering detail via description and character interactions. Again, Kaia said it best: Person A will ask a question, and Person B will give them an incredibly-detailed answer. Person A picks up on something Person B says in their deluge of information, and proceeds to start the cycle anew. It's dreadful.

Another element of fantasy that can either go right or horribly, horribly wrong, is having people speaking different languages. Unfortunately, Melissa Douthit is no J.R.R. Tolkien. Now, Tolkien had extensively studied Anglo-Saxon, Welsh, and other Norse, Celtic, Uralic and Germanic languages before he wrote Lord of the Rings, so that two of the many Elven languages, Sindarin and Quen'ya, would sound just right. The same goes for all the other languages he constructed for use in that universe.

The author of this book, on the other hand, seems to have deconstructed either French or Spanish words, and haphazardly glued the letters back together so that the words look vaguely fantastical. The main foreign language that Chalice speaks is called 'Angaulic'. While some phrases in Angaulic don't have a French or Spanish equivalent, little things like this do:

'Iel tasse d'avie.' “The cup of life.”

Oh, you mean like la tasse de la vie, French for the exact same thing? Also, please don't try to explain to me that this is set in our world, but thousands of years from the present. A language would have changed or developed into a much more different version of itself after thousands of years.

Hell, the French/Norman King William the Conqueror and his buddies came to England in 1066, and conquered the Anglo-Saxons, who, need I remind you, spoke like this:

Hwæt! wē Gār-Dena in geār-dagum
þēod-cyninga þrym gefrūnon
hū ðā æþelingas ellen fremedon
Oft Scyld Scēfing sceaþena þrēatum
monegum mægþum meodo-setla oftēah
egsian eorl syððan ǣrest weorþana

...And wound up speaking the English that we do today because King William I and his aristocratic pals all spoke French, which went on to become the standard language of the upper class and educated and rubbed off on the English language in general. Then we got some Nordic words from the Vikings. The Catholic Church also kept Latin around by keeping its liturgy in the ancient language, and there's also a tradition of keeping Ancient Greek alive in some schools. Basically, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexKqv...

Et voilà, we have English today, a melting pot of various languages, with the Oxford Dictionary trying its best to keep up with our slang every single year.

My point is, if English has changed so much over the past 947 years that looking at that passage of Beowulf remains unintelligible to the modern English-speaker (unless they have a degree or interest in the study of ancient European languages), why would French or Spanish have morphed into 'Angaulic'? Or am I just being a huge languages nerd?

This might possibly have been a good idea with a few tweaks. Just because something is clichéd doesn't mean it's bad, after all. With multiple rewrites and very harsh editing, this could have been an okay fantasy novel. Not great, merely okay.

As it stands, The Raie'Chaelia is generic, poorly-written, and the world Douthit has constructed makes absolutely no sense. 1/5.

(This review is also available on my blog: http://book-wyrm.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...)

Addendum - the drama from last year.

You can read my thoughts on this whole débacle here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raie'Chaelia.

01/09 page 1
0.0% "I don't quite understand how we're supposed to be following this sea breeze. It's more like a direction for a camera to go in.

Helicopter cam! Fly in over the sea!
Show a pan shot of this amazing, sparkly castle on the cliff!
Fly through the caves underneath!" 2 comments
01/09 page 1
0.0% "Also, how does the castle remain 'untouched' by the erosion of the ocean and the sea breeze? Who would build a huge (presumably marble) castle right near a cliff, which will erode over time?"
01/09 page 1
0.0% "A man in black stood just above him facing the front of a ring of spectators who were lingering in the shadows. The man in black was tall and broad, with thick black hair that was sleeked back from his brow and reached just under his ears.

I guess I watch too many films, but I keep expecting this 'man in black' to be Will Smith or Tommy Lee Jones." 1 comment
01/09 page 2
0.0% "Is it me or is there marble everywhere? The castle is presumably made of marble, and there's a guy tied to a marble altar. Okay, um. Marble is HEAVY. And seriously expensive. The city I live in was bombed heavily during WW2, and to replace the old buildings, the council had to import marble from a quarry in Italy and spend a huge portion of their budget to get it cut."
01/09 page 2
0.0% "Two of the bad guys are called Vlaad and Ivan? Reds under the beds, guys!!"
01/09 page 3
0.0% "How is Duqaine cognisant of the city clock tower striking midnight if he's strapped to a marble altar on a cliff by the sea around a big white castle?"
01/09 page 3
0.0% "He was an unctuous, obsequious little toady, short and squat with dirty brown, matted hair and a chubby, pockmarked face.

Good God. How many adjectives were needed...?

Right, here's a rewrite, utilising the pruning shears.

He was short and squat, with matted brown hair, and a chubby, pockmarked face."
01/09 page 3
0.0% "He strode with the grace and air of a king but his black eyes shone with intentions that were anything but kingly. His dark hair and hooded, black cloak tossed in the night wind as he approached his master, holding his helmet with one arm and a dark leather sack with the other. Black clouds rolled over the palace menacingly and thunder roared."
01/09 page 3
0.0% "So, these guys are trying to usurp their king, and a storm is rolling in behind them. You don't need a degree in English Literature to see the subtext in that."
01/09 page 4
1.0% "There was a crowd watching this king being assassinated? Oh, by the way, he was assassinated by... having a green stone pushed into his chest, and getting struck by a bolt of lightning."
01/09 page 4
1.0% "Lucce has a 'muscled forefinger'. That does not make sense." 3 comments
01/09 page 5
1.0% "Wait. We're introduced to Chalice merrily bounding through the countryside on her horse. We get an overly-detailed description of the hills, and moors she can see, and then there's a small mention of how her hometown Canton has been seized by the King's men and set ablaze. Um. Okay."
01/09 page 6
1.0% "Using the old, updated map Papa had tossed into her bag.

Old + updated doesn't make sense together. Rewrite?"
01/09 page 7
2.0% "Wait. The old guy who raised Chalice (let's say he's two generations older than her) lived underground during the Ice Age. And now, we are no longer in an Ice Age and the weather is generally temperate. Whaaa....? Ice Ages don't just disappear overnight with the dawn of a new millennium!"
01/09 page 8
2.0% "She [Chalice] was petite but hardy, for being raised in Canton meant you were trained in the Cantonese fighting arts from an early age and if that didn’t make you tough, nothing would.

Cantonese fighting arts? Like the Chinese dialect, culture and cuisine? 哈哈, 不."
01/09 page 8
2.0% "Oh, lord. Deluge of character description."
01/09 page 8
2.0% "Chalice has a 'unique birthmark' on her shoulder. Of course she does." 1 comment
01/09 page 9
2.0% "She walked past this mountain brook a few 'leagues' ago? As in, the nautical length?

To Wikipedia! Oh. It's an ancient unit for calculating how far somebody could walk in an hour, usually a little under 3 miles. Huh.

But she's been a horse all this time! If you mean an hour ago, say an hour ago! D:"
01/09 page 10
3.0% "Dreams! In explicit detail!"
01/09 page 11
3.0% "She turned to examine the intricate Avielian tapestries that adorned the polished wall panels, and found that they depicted battle scenes of long ago, as it appeared by the attire of the men in the settings. Who were they? She wondered if they had once lived.

Um... what? I don't look at the Bayeux Tapestry and wonder if King Harold really existed, or that he lived long ago, judging by his attire. o_O"
01/09 page 12
3.0% "Yep, Kaia was right. Wicket the Ewok is in this!"
01/09 page 12
3.0% "Wait... Chalice laughs at this Ewok thing and then it runs off up into a tree. The narration then goes on to explain to us the mysterious creature's race and origins. Quoi...?"
01/09 page 12
3.0% "Of course, the little teddy bear thing had to drop a book. Which Chalice picks up. I bet that'll come in handy later in the story!"
01/09 page 12
3.0% "She could not read Chinukan writing but she decided to keep it anyway, just in case. Somehow it seemed like a good idea.

Of course."
01/09 page 13
4.0% "There's a character called Tycho Bendeban.

Bendeban! Guys, say it out loud. It's SUCH FUN! Cusp. Moist. Plinth."
01/09 page 17
5.0% "And that's it for tonight!"
01/10 page 17
5.0% ""I’ll be right back, boy," she told him as she made her way back to the bakery to collect a
few bags of fresh sourdough, leaving a couple pence on the counter.

A couple of pence for a few bags of sourdough? Okay, so the currency in this world works like it does in Harry Potter – gold, silver, and copper pieces. Unless things are really cheap in this world, I'm going to assume Chalice is a huge skinflint."
01/10 page 17
5.0% "She and Sunny strode down Main, right onto Pine, and out of the village.

What is this? I'm from a village, guys, and in most villages around here 'Main' would be called the 'Main Road'. Not 'Main' like a street in New York."
01/10 page 18
5.0% "When she returned to the tack room to exchange the bridle for her bags, she noticed a large cupboard in the left-hand corner, on the ground.

Interesting place for a cupboard, she thought as she tossed the bags over her shoulder.

What? Interesting place for a cupboard, what?"
01/10 page 19
6.0% "Is it really necessary to describe everything?"
01/10 page 19
6.0% "Chalice just dodged a falcon making a dive for her, even though she had her back turned to it and only turned at the very last moment. Because logic!"
01/10 page 21
6.0% "I really don't understand how they have electricity in this world. There was a freaking ice age two generations ago! The last ice age in our world was in the Palaeolithic/Mesolithic period, roughly 100,000-10,000 years ago. When did we discover electricity, let alone learn how to harness its power? 1750, with Benjamin Franklin's kite experiment. 263 years ago from the present, and 8,250 years from the last ice age."
01/10 page 22
7.0% "“Didn’t anyone ever teach you that it isn’t wise to sneak up on a Cantonese?” she said as she pulled back her hood and lowered a hand to help him up.

Who cares, Chalice!? You've been caught sneaking around a farmhouse in the dead of night!"
01/10 page 22
7.0% "Also, I'm getting quite sick of the 'from Canton = Cantonese' bit. Sorry, but it just always makes me think of Hong Kong and southern China. Not this fantasy town that sunshine-out-of-her-arse Chalice comes from."
01/10 page 22
7.0% "“You don’t look Cantonese,” he said. It was true, the Cantonese were usually dark in hair and complexion and she was exceedingly fair.

Why on Earth would anybody care!?"
01/10 page 22
7.0% "Of course Chalice is not only an expert martial artist, she's really strong!!"
01/10 page 25
8.0% "Okay, so that fridge is an icebox."
01/10 page 25
8.0% "Hold up. Chalice doesn't recognise Jeremiah to begin with, whose surname is Maehbek. He lived in her family's inn, and they played together nine years ago. Surely, when her family sent her off to Branbury to stay with the Maehbeks, she should have realised 'oh, that's Jeremiah's family! The boy who used to live with us!' I mean, do you really live with someone for all that time and not learn their surnames?"
01/10 page 25
8.0% "“Oh yeah,” he said affectionately, holding the lantern closer to the cover. “My mom used to read me stories from this book when I was little. It must have been on the top shelf, out of sight all this time. I thought we had lost it.”

“It looks like a collectible. It’s a storybook?” Chalice asked as they made their way toward the hearth.
"
01/10 page 25
8.0% "Why would there be a collectible storybook? If this world has only recovered from an Ice Age two generations ago, why are there printing presses efficient enough to publish collectible editions of books?" 1 comment
01/10 page 25
8.0% "Right, so I am aware that during an Ice Age, if they already had this technology in place, they could have used it. But the Ice Age itself would still cause a huge death toll for mankind. We're talking Arctic temperatures across the entire world. In fact, the old guy who raised Chalice talks about how he had to live underground as a boy, because the climate was too fierce to live in above ground."
01/10 page 25
8.0% "So they had electricity, printing presses, fridges, all that, underground? It just doesn't make much sense to me."
01/10 page 26
8.0% "Okay, Chalice just gasped at Jeremiah turning on an electric light. But why, though? Why is she so perplexed by electricity?"
01/10 page 26
8.0% "It was strange for her to see such a large person in the kitchen. She was amazed that he knew how to cook. Most of the young men in her village didn’t even go near the kitchen unless it was time to eat.

Oh yay, a bit of sexism! Stay in the kitchen, ladies! It's all you're good for!"
01/10 page 27
8.0% "Jeremiah can read Chinukan. Because his parents conveniently are members of a secret learned society. Surely if they were members of a secret society, they wouldn't have told their child until he came of age?"
01/10 page 27
8.0% "Now we've been treated to a fairly long bit in which Chalice asks Jeremiah why he knows how to cook. SO UNNATURAL FOR MEN TO COOK OMG."
01/10 page 27
8.0% "Okay, so Jeremiah is cooking dinner. HOW STRANGE, am I right?"
01/10 page 29
9.0% "“Iel Taisse D’Avie. 'The cup of life.'”

Seriously? That's obviously a mangling of la tasse de la vie, which is French for 'the cup of life'. >.<"
01/10 page 29
9.0% ""Avie means power or life or life force in Angaulic."

Angaulic? As in Gaul = French? This is not clever!! Also, vie means the same thing in French as it does in 'Angaulic'. Oh lord."
01/10 page 30
9.0% "Oh yay, a fairy tale about a Mary Sue."
01/10 page 30
9.0% "So... isn't this tale about the cup that can give you eternal life if you drink from it basically the Holy Grail?"
01/10 page 30
9.0% "Wait, what? We were reading from the book of Ye Olde Fairy Tales (the Collectible edition), then all of a sudden it's revealed that Jeremiah has been reading from the book of Chinuk?"
01/10 page 30
9.0% "Oh, yeah. The Chinuk that Chalice met in the forest just so happened to write a diary entry about the villains taking away the townspeople."
01/10 page 32
10.0% "For the last time, I know that Chalice's cloak and boots are made out of lambskin! (Also, I can't imagine that being horribly comfortable. Sheepskin/fleece coats are really heavy and trap heat like whoa, and it's probably just a texture thing for me, but I can't stand wearing them.)"
01/10 page 33
10.0% ""Chalicia Maefeline Raie’Chaelia D’Ielieria." With a inquiring look, he asked: "What does that mean?”

Staring down at the page in front of her with an expression of astonished incredulity, she spoke slowly. "It means.." she said as she glanced up and continued, firelight dancing in her eyes, “Beautiful Chalice, True Princess of Ielieria."

So Angaulic is part Mary Sue wish-fulfilment as well as French."
01/10 page 33
10.0% "And that's it for tonight."
01/11 page 34
10.0% "Ooh, what a co-inky-dink that Chalice has the same name as this mysterious princess in some fairy tale book!"
01/11 page 34
10.0% "Oh, it also has an imprint of her 'unique' birthmark. Therefore, it must all be true!"
01/11 page 36
11.0% "Hooray, divine right of monarchy! This one pure, untainted, magic-using bloodline that are the rightful heirs of the kingdom! And Chalice is the surviving Princess!

Oh, please." 1 comment
01/11 page 36
11.0% "They're drinking hot cider? Ew! I prefer my scrumpy cold, thanks." 1 comment
01/11 page 38
12.0% ""So Sir Darren died on the battlefield because of Davinthore’s mistakes. That’s why we call it the Darrenfell Moor because that’s where Darren fell. You see?”

None of this is clever! At all!" 2 comments
01/11 page 38
12.0% "Info-dump! Seriously, this is just as Kaia said all that time ago: Person A asks a question, Person B gives them a really detailed answer, then Person A picks up on something Person B mentions, and Person A asks a question about that and the cycle starts all over again."
01/11 page 38
12.0% "Chalice: "How does your dad know so much about about the royal family?"

Jeremiah: "He just does. I'm sure he's right."

Chalice: "How do you know it's right?"

Jeremiah: [shrugs] "I don't know, I just do."

What...?" 1 comment
01/11 page 39
12.0% "Non magic-users in this world are called Naeomans?

Whenever I say it aloud I can't help but think it sounds a lot like Skeletor from He-Man saying "human"."
01/11 page 40
12.0% "So... why is there a house with all the mod-cons if everywhere else in the country has to get water for their tubs, light fires with tinderboxes/flint, etc... >.> Okay, so maybe it's a huge continent, but there's no scale on the map, so I can't tell."
11/20 marked as: 所在なげ
11/21 marked as: eu-não-terminei
11/27 marked as: please-hold
11/27 marked as: did-not-finish
06/13 marked as: dnf

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lissa Sei, you are the sweetest most awesome lil' thing. I love you. Also, I love Russell Howard, whom I believe is also from the same neck of the woods. Therefore you are double awesome.

And I LOVE the unicorn. What's its name?

Vanessa Lissa wrote: "Sei, you are the sweetest most awesome lil' thing. I love you. Also, I love Russell Howard, whom I believe is also from the same neck of the woods. Therefore you are double awesome.

And I LOVE the..."

Aww, thanks Lissa! <3

Russel Howard is actually from Bath, a few miles down the road. It's a HUGELY expensive city to live in, thanks to all the old Roman and Victorian buildings, by the way. xD

The unicorn is called Rarity and she's from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. =)

Thanks Archer!

Vanessa Archer wrote: "No worries.

I though Howard lived in Bath now but I was sure he was Britolian by birth..."

Ah, yes, he is! I just remember him talking about Bath and assuming that's where he was born and raised. My bad. :)

message 4: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Awesome!

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Bwahahahaha, I love it. "Vanessa 'come at me bro' Henderson. That's just the best.

message 6: by Vanessa (last edited Jun 01, 2012 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Vanessa Christina (A Reader of Fictions) wrote: "Bwahahahaha, I love it. "Vanessa 'come at me bro' Henderson. That's just the best."

Hendersen. :'D Nordic spellings, whoo!

I just love the phrase 'come at me bro'. XD

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Oops, my bad. Multitasking fail!

Me too. :)

Barbara (VampAngel) Hear, hear! Or is it: Here, here? ;)

message 9: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh Hey, I know it's shameless of me to link to my own status entry but I'd seriously appreciate it if you could fill out a complaint of breach of terms to Douthit's domain host GoDaddy regarding this issue. She clearly breaks their terms of service with this vile invasion of privacy and bullying:

Thanks!

Vanessa Ceilidh wrote: "Hey, I know it's shameless of me to link to my own status entry but I'd seriously appreciate it if you could fill out a complaint of breach of terms to Douthit's domain host GoDaddy regarding this ..."

No problem! Getting to it right now!

message 11: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Hey Sei. I strongly dislike this author too, but you should remove your comments from the review section and place them down here. Goodreads doesn't allow us to discuss the author in the book space and they might delete this because of that. It's better to put something like 'reason in comments' and discuss it beneath.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

That tag line at the end.....I think I love you.

message 13: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim It's a lovely post, Sei.

message 14: by Belle (new) - added it

Belle You're awesome

message 15: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria I have one word. Amen!

message 16: by MLE (new)

MLE Love your signature on your blog!

message 17: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose Good luck with it, Sei.

message 18: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Wilder Read your blog post and I love this so hard:

"Vanessa 'come at me bro' Hendersen, a 'bully' who lives in Bristol, England."

I LOVE YOU.

message 19: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Wilder "how in the name of Lucius Malfoy" NEEDS to become a thing.

Also, etymology = excellent

message 20: by Vanessa (last edited Jan 12, 2013 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Vanessa Christina wrote: ""how in the name of Lucius Malfoy" NEEDS to become a thing.

Also, etymology = excellent"

Hm? Etymology? owo

And thanks, haha. <3

Howdy YAL Great review. I loved the part about linguistics, brought back memories of my early Brit lit class.

message 22: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh Great review. Linguistics rocks!

So how is the title actually pronounced?

message 23: by Vanessa (last edited Jan 12, 2013 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Vanessa Ceilidh wrote: "Great review. Linguistics rocks!

So how is the title actually pronounced?"

Thanks! I think I should have gone into linguistics rather than literature some times.

Apparently it's pronounced Rye-kale-ya. The heroine says early on that it's an 'Angaulic' word meaning 'true princess'.

Howdy YAL Vanessa 'Sei' wrote: "Ceilidh wrote: "Great review. Linguistics rocks!

So how is the title actually pronounced?"

Apparently it's ..."

True princess. Oh, bother.

message 25: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Wilder I see it and think "the Ray-Chel-uh." :/

Vanessa Christina wrote: "I see it and think "the Ray-Chel-uh." :/"

But that makes me think of Rachel from Friends, for some reason. :(

message 27: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Wilder It's never a good sign when people can't pronounce your title. Also, unnecessary apostrophe.

message 28: by Nenia (new)

Nenia Campbell I assumed it was pronounced Rey-ah Chalia, like 'Queen Chalice.'

message 29: by Ceilidh (new) - added it

Ceilidh Excellent review V!

message 30: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose Wonderful review. What little I skimmed of the book, apart from some of the editing issues and excessive wording, I saw some of the same details you noted.

Oddly I thought I had this book deleted from my Amazon Kindle list, but apparently it's still there. >.>

message 31: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy I appreciate that you actually did try to read it and wrote a review of the book. I couldn't muster up the interest to even try. The book just seemed ... dull to me. I remember seeing it when it first came out, checking it out, and saying to myself "Self, don't waste your time. This doesn't look like it's worth the effort" and left it at that.

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth Chandler I found your review very useful. I know to stay away from this book. Yes, world-building should be logical and heck, yes, infodumps should be avoided as much as humanly possible. Also, I checked out the publisher and...very small press, no apparent editing department. ::former publishing employee sigh:: Explains a lot.

message 33: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Beth wrote: "I found your review very useful. I know to stay away from this book. Yes, world-building should be logical and heck, yes, infodumps should be avoided as much as humanly possible. Also, I checked ou..."

Small press usually hires freelancers. I know I've had some approach me. However, from the quotes I've seen from this particular book, it does look like it was fairly poorly edited.