Melanie's Reviews > Heiress Without a Cause

Heiress Without a Cause by Sara Ramsey

Apr 29, 2012

Read in April, 2012

I reviewed this novel for my blog at www.bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com

...starts slow, but boy does it pick up! Loved it...

This is Ms. Ramsey's début novel and first in the Muses of Mayfair Series (Madeline
Vaillant, Prudence Etchingham, Amelia Staunton and Ellie, Marchioness of Folkestone) and she starts off with Lady Madeline Vaillant's story.

The book opens up with our heroine attending a ball at Salford House, which is the home of her cousin Alexander Staunton, the Earl of Salford, his mother, her aunt Augusta as well as Amelia Staunton, Alex's sister. She's been with them ever since she was a little girl, after her parents went back to France in the midst of the Revolution and gotten themselves killed in the process.

She is aware that no one has ever paid her any attention and that no one likely ever will. Not as long as she's determined to stay a spinster and dress like one, down to her spinsters cap. What the ton doesn't know, and if it did it would not only shock them but it would also ruin Madeline and possibly the family that she loves dearly, is that our heroine has a secret desire and a talent for acting.

Our hero is William "Ferguson" Avenel, and coming out of exile is not so easy for him. It has been a decade since he's seen his sister Ellie, and his twin half sisters who are both ready for their first London season, and to all of them, Ferguson needs to apologies for not being there for them when they needed him the most.

I really liked this story for lots of obvious reasons; for a début book, it was written well, paced well and its hero and heroine were very likeable, but what I liked the best about it was the relationship between the three friends, and after we meet Ellie, there was no doubt in my mind that she was perfect as, and eventually would become another, muse of Mayfair.

The author has done an excellent job in portraying the relationships between all the characters with so much reality that it will touch your hearts with an equal dose of humor and sensuality. You will come to care for everyone involved and that is what makes this début such a great read and I whole heartedly recommend it.

Melanie
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heiress Without a Cause.