Tom's Reviews > Magic Bites

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Jul 07, 12

Read from July 04 to 07, 2012

I’m going with a 3.5 on this one, I really liked this story but came up short of loving it. The synopsis is everywhere on this one so I’ll just cut to the chase.

*Had to update my spoiler. Thanks Laura *waving*

I read this one coming off of Sacrificial Magic. Now that wasn’t the best of the series but anyone who is into the Downside Ghosts series knows that the intensity is pretty high through everyone of the books. I might have liked this one more with a buffer between that book and this one, I don’t know. It was a little slow to start. Some of the world building was not really defined either. Some of the stuff they mention and then it got defined later like they talk about the People early in the book but we don’t really find out till later what they are talking about. Other things like a pilot is brought up and really never explained. I kinda got the pilot controlling dragon but it seems like the vampires are attached to a pilot but I’m not sure how that works. I even had trouble envisioning the world. When she got on a horse at one point I was like what the heck is going on. Probably 50 pages later it is explained how horses became popular because of the tech going out. .

(view spoiler)

I know my review has more whining than praise but I did like the characters and the last third of the book the story was really good. Even with the world building problems I had the writing always flowed and I enjoyed reading the book. Kate’s personality had a good mix of humor without it being overbearing and the cast of characters definitely makes me want to move forward with the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bites.

07/05/2012 page 68
26.0% "I can tell I'm going to love this series. Now if I can carve out a chunk of time to really get into it." 6 comments
07/06/2012 page 114
44.0% "I wanted to ask for a do-over. I would be more restrained the second time around. Less mouthy. Unfortunately in real life you rarely got a do-over...been there done that."
07/07/2012 page 188
72.0% "Don't think I trust doctor toothpaste..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cmkage Oh you absolutely have to read this. :) It's one of my all-time favorite series.

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom I keep on coming up on reviews on people that are at different books on this series and loving it. My Genre is all over the place and I want to make sure I'm in the right state of mind before I start it. I'm coming off my favorite book and I think its affecting the way I feel about the books I'm reading now. Hopefully that void will be gone soon and I can get back to enjoying what I'm reading...haha This series looks like it might do the trick.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Doesn't get much better than the Kate Daniels books.

Dija What Mme said!

message 5: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom I was surprised it was only 260 pages. Gonna be a quick one.

Maria Love this Series Tom!!

HeatherJay Maria wrote: "Love this Series Tom!!"

Kate is my favorite. So glad you are reading this...

Ty hope you enjoy this series. definitely a favorite of mine :)

message 9: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom I'm sure I will. Got it started and was immediately into the story so pretty excited.

Samina ~ Escapism~ This is a series in which the first book sets the scene. If you don't like this book I ask you to definitely give the scond book a chance.

I'm in love with Kate. There, I said it.

message 11: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Samina ~ Escapism~ wrote: "This is a series in which the first book sets the scene. If you don't like this book I ask you to definitely give the scond book a chance.

I'm in love with Kate. There, I said it."

I can tell I will like the series. Just getting into the world building right now but she is a likable, interesting character.

message 12: by Gin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gin Love this series!!!

new_user Yeah, I didn't like the series until after book two. Oddly enough, she doesn't explain a lot of the world until the second book.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this series from the first book - I read it right when it came out and remember crossing my fingers, hoping that the series would stay strong.

But I know a lot of people took a couple of books to be convinced; luckily, it's all uphill from here.

Breann I remember being slightly confused, and by slightly I mean utterly, during book 1. Lots and lots of unique world building. But the characters and dialogue made up for it! Glad you liked it!

message 16: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Breann wrote: "I remember being slightly confused, and by slightly I mean utterly, during book 1. Lots and lots of unique world building. But the characters and dialogue made up for it! Glad you liked it!"

Thanks. I think if I had a buffer between Sacrificial Magic and this I might have liked it more. Very promising going forward though.

message 17: by LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out (last edited Jul 07, 2012 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out Great review! I wasn't confused by MB but I'm one of the only GR peoples I know that is OBSESSED with Karen Chance's "Cassandra Palmer" & "Dorina Basarab" series-and that series is akin to being slapped in the face with a fish. Repeatedly. You don't understand WTF is going on but you pretend you do and eventually you get an "AHA!" moment. But I digress. This series gets better and better and better and better until you're at the point where every time you see the name "Ilona Andrews" you see rainbows and unicorns and you feel like you're tripping balls.

Or maybe that's just me. *blink blink*

HeatherJay LethalLovely~I've Come to Relieve U of Life & Love wrote: "Great review! I wasn't confused by MB but I'm one of the only GR peoples I know that is OBSESSED with Karen Chance's "Cassandra Palmer" & "Dorina Basarab" series-and that series is akin to being sl..."

I completely agree. I'm a huge Karen Chance fan as well. Kate Daniels had the same effect on me.

new_user The world didn't deter me because I come from epic fantasy reading, which is pretty much the source of world-building, LOL. But I didn't think we got a great grasp of Kate's character, few insights into her, as compared to book two, where she built some relationships. Her humor was great there too.

message 20: by Becs (new)

Becs Nice review Tom

Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*) Tom wrote: "I was surprised it was only 260 pages. Gonna be a quick one."

Sadly this is the case for all in these series, they just fly by.

A lot of people prefer the sequels to the original. I loved the original, then thought the second was a bit ho-hum, but then the third blew me away as amazing. Most people really dig the third.

message 22: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Erin wrote: "Tom wrote: "I was surprised it was only 260 pages. Gonna be a quick one."

Sadly this is the case for all in these series, they just fly by.

A lot of people prefer the sequels to the original. I ..."

Started as a group read for Magic Bites and it turned into a Group read for the series so I think I'm going to be at book 3 in no time...haha

Estelle (E) You've summed it up well. I agree with all what you said! You should definitely pursue with the series. Kate's character is one of my favourite character.

message 24: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Estelle wrote: "You've summed it up well. I agree with all what you said! You should definitely pursue with the series. Kate's character is one of my favourite character."

Thanks I will. Definitely potential in the series. I would be reading book 2 right now but my library books are kind of dictating my TBR right now.

Estelle (E) Library books?

Christine The first book definitely is the weakest of the series. I think the authors hit their stride in book two and it's a wonderful ride. I like that it's a little dark and gritty, but with a wonderful sarcastic sense of humor. I love a book that doesn't take itself too seriously.

But on you're spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 27: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Estelle wrote: "Library books?"

You don't have libraries in London? It is a place where they lend you books for free but you usually have to wait a while to get them, so I usually have 6 or 7 in que and as they filter in I work them into my reading.

Estelle (E) Tom wrote: "Estelle wrote: "Library books?"

lol!! Alright Tom, thanks for the highlights!
OK I admit I haven't borrowed library books for ages...apart from books I use for my studies (that's the reason I was asking). The 'other' books that are waiting to be read are all on my kindle.. it wouldn't even occur to me to borrow a UF book form a library!
:-)

Estelle (E) Christine wrote: "The first book definitely is the weakest of the series. I think the authors hit their stride in book two and it's a wonderful ride. I like that it's a little dark and gritty, but with a wonderful..."

RE spoiler: it does ring a bell! I can't remember exactly as I read many books after but I remember thinking the same.

message 30: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Estelle wrote: "Tom wrote: "Estelle wrote: "Library books?"

Sorry not a man of the world..haha I belong to 2 different libraries and they have ebooks too! I get most of my books from there. The cheaper books that make the rounds don't make it to the library but I save tons. Check out your library they might have an online section. I love sitting at home putting things in a cart and waiting for the email to come through.

Estelle (E) Tom wrote: "Estelle wrote: "Tom wrote: "Estelle wrote: "Library books?"

Cool! will do!
I used to love them when I was a child. I used to sit with other kids while a lady would reading stories... Now they just represent a silent, cold place where I have to sit for hours trying to write an essay for the Master I'm trying to get!
ah ah! It's sad really!

message 32: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Estelle wrote: "Tom wrote: "Estelle wrote: "Tom wrote: "Estelle wrote: "Library books?"

If they have ebooks I think you'll find a new found love of the library...haha