PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•* 's Reviews > The Lost Daughters of China

The Lost Daughters of China by Karin Evans

May 02, 12

bookshelves: memoir-biography, social-issues
Read from April 28 to May 02, 2012

The Lost Daughters of China is by far the most saddest book I have ever read. Many things on the orphanages in China were facts I did not know. This was an eye opener on the social issues going on in China. The book touches many aspects on this phenomena and the impact that it has. There have been documentaries on the living conditions of the orphanages which I found out there are over 1000 state ran orphanages in China alone. The girls that are adopted then have to deal with them discovering who they are and to search if they choose to, for their biological family. That alone is a very hard task because many of these girls are left on market doorsteps with not a single trace of their biological parents.

I found several things to be disturbing about the facts stated:

1. There are thousands of babygirls abandoned throughout China for various reasons, on ebeing the country's government policy on 1 child per family "son preferred".

2. There were some quotes stated that were very sad such as: "It is more profitable to raise geese than to raise a daughter" and "Girls are like maggots on rice".

3. Some women who live in rural areas of China and can't afford medical care when they are pregnant, give birth to their child at home with the assistance of a midwife. The midwife gathers ashes, and if the baby born is a girl her face is smoothered in the ashes.

The things I read in this book will stay with me for a very long time if not forever. What a blessing for the thousand of Americans who adopt little girls from this country. They give these girls a 2nd chance at life. The book was a very touching memoir. If this book doesnt pull your heartstrings, well then I don't know what will!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Daughters of China.

04/30/2012 page 45
16.0% "What a touching story so far....."
05/01/2012 page 112