Jess's Reviews > Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

7611976
Apr 28, 12

Jodie Picoult has never let me down with a single one of her novels and Lone Wolf is no exception, which is why I was so surprised to see so many mixed reviews for this book on Amazon.com and Goodreads.com. Some commented that the main characters was boring, that her novels are becoming too predictable, and that the stories of the wolf packs woven in were unnecessary, but I can honestly say that those thoughts never occurred to me when I was reading it, so don't let that dissuade you if you are a fan of her previous novels.

My upbringing was nothing like that of Edward and Cara in this story, so sometimes I found the bickering and lies/deception a little annoying as a whole lot of drama and misunderstanding could have been avoided if they just communicated a bit better and listened to each other, but thanks to that aspect Lone Wolf was a great reminder to me that no family is perfect and that each has its own unique dynamic that might not be understood to outsiders.

The way it was written, with both Edward's and Cara's secret guilt being referred to but not given away until that final chapters, made read faster so I could find out the twist. And I enjoyed the way that the story was told throughout from each member's different prospective, which made me sway my loyalty between each one as more information unfolded. I think this is one of the main strengths of Picoult's writing, she can take a normally black and white concept and make me think in grey after observing each side.
The diary style writing from Luke throughout gave depth to the plot and tied in what was happening to the human family with how it would be in the wild with a wolf pack. Very clever.

All in all if you are a usual fan of Jodie Picoult I don't think you would be disappointed. I wouldn't expect anything less from her and she continues to be one of my favourite authors.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Wolf.