Sophie's Reviews > Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: favourites
Read in July, 2011

If there was ever a book that had me dissolve into tears just from picking it up, it would be this one. This book has so much charm and so much character. You want to befriend every single one of these people and it breaks your heart when war tears these folks to shreds. I'm a firm believer in stories that build up a relationship between readers and characters strong enough that reader would cry at the death of their favourite character because that means the writer is doing their job. A character should be your best friend through this journey from beginning to end and in this book, for me, Carlo was my best friend and his fate broke me, even when I'd read vague things about it in reviews. I felt as though I was betraying him every time de Bernieres got me to laugh following his demise. I would be sitting on the bus, weeping, and out of nowhere, I'd be laughing. Louis de Bernieres is a masterful writer who knows how to manipulate your emotions and hit you where it hurts, but at the same time, find that smile hidden deep in those tears. Not only that, but he has taken well known subject matter of WW2, and given us a whole new spin on life at that time, in Greece, no less. He gives you a unity of cultures: Greek, Italian, British, German, and makes you laugh with them, makes you fall in love with them until the war falls upon them and you really feel every pain they feel. This book is so beautifully written. My heart aches just thinking about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Corelli's Mandolin.