Laurie's Reviews > Playing for the Ashes

Playing for the Ashes by Elizabeth  George

1918358
Apr 28, 2012

Read in April, 2012

The Inspector Lynley series is really growing on me. I admire that the author doesn't follow a set formula. Although there are the main characters of Thomas Lynley (posh detective and reluctant Lord), frumpy but ballsey sidekick policewoman, best friend handicapped forensic scientist who is married to his butler's beautiful photographer daughter who once ran around with said posh detective, etc. the author used varied means to tell the story in each book. One book may be told from the main detective's point of view, the next from the sidekicks', the next may keep these characters in the background while the focus is on the more direct participants in the crime at hand. In all the books, the author creates several different story lines that interweave cleverly. I thought this was especially well done in "Playing With Ashes," which kept me guessing to the end. Her characters are extremely well drawn and engaging. My only complaint was the initial story of Olivia is a bit offputting as she becomes extremely promiscuous to the point of endangering herself. I know that is part of her tale, but I didn't need all the details.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing for the Ashes.

04/11 marked as: read