Dione Sage's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

May 02, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, drama
Read from July 01 to 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Jay Asher’s book for me was good, not great but good. I think the storyline of how each individual can have an impact on another person’s life whether great or small is portrayed in this book. However, the depth of pain it takes to push most individuals into thinking of suicide seems to be downplayed. Most teenagers go through awful periods during high school and come out of it a little scarred but alive. I thought the character, Clay, was very interesting, I felt compassion for his character and at times while reading the book it brought tears to my eyes. With that said I believe it is for personal reasons that influenced a few of the tears I shed. The main focus though, Hannah seemed to have planned out her suicide in detail and almost glamorized the fact that she was having the final say, like that was what it was all about is getting the last word in. Personally having known someone who committed suicide in high school it is a bit disturbing to say the least. When I was finished with the book I really didn’t know if I liked it or not and after some thought about it I decided that I like the overall perception of the story. That yes, while we have the ability to impact each other’s lives we often take it for granted and never think of what a tiny little action may do to another person’s life but we can also choose to overcome our trials and be stronger for it in the end. I think I may have to re-read this book later on in the future to see if maybe I just was misunderstanding Hannah’s pain but it will be a while since I believe suicide to be a tragic event and hard to cope with.