Elisabeth's Reviews > The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table

The American Way of Eating by Tracie McMillan

Apr 28, 12

Read in March, 2012

Disclaimer: I read this book because I know the author socially although I've never read her work before.

I was impressed! Tracie's got balls. The fact that she repeatedly put herself into situations where she was alone, possibly unsafe, ignorant, language-impaired, conspicuous, and unskilled is very compelling to me. Maybe that willingness goes along with being a journalist and is required to do this type of investigative work.

Also, it reads very well -- it's very narrative. I don't mean it's plot-driven, it's just a very experiential read that is also full of good reporting, facts and figures.

Perhaps my complaint is that the conclusion left me flat. Tracie and I probably share the same politics, but her analysis of what is needed to change the food world across place and class strikes me as simplistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Way of Eating.