Justin's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Apr 29, 12

Read from April 28 to 29, 2012

Where do I even begin? Julie Kagawa is an absolute genius, in my opinion she is one of the best Young Adult authors out there. I was somewhat skeptical of this book at first because of how much I loved Julie's Iron Fey series. I was so afraid this new series wouldn't live up to my thoughts of her previous books. But she has done it again with this new series, I am without a fraction of a doubt hooked on it. Unless you've read one of her books, it's extremely difficult to explain just how amazing her writing is. It's honestly one of those things you have to experience for yourself, to realize what people mean.

I've mentioned before how I don't really care for the way Vampires are being portrayed in some YA books, in fact I mentioned that in my last review which was also a book dealing with vampires. It's not that I dislike it, I just enjoy when vampires are portrayed in a darker way. The Immortal Rules give you dark, gritty and everything in between. It seems like Julie made sure to make her vampires something you would truly be terrified of if you ever had a run in with one. I was actually a little surprised just how gruesome some parts of this book were, but it really added the the atmosphere and the fact that it was much darker and grittier made it that much more addicting.

In my mind I kept thinking of the show Walking Dead while reading this book. Maybe it's just because of the Red Lung Virus but instead of people turning into zombies they turned into vampires. I just can't get over how epic this story is though. It's not your average vampire story by any means, Julie has put a very unique twist on things and it's beyond amazing what she has done. I would easily say that this is the best vampire story that I have ever read.

Julie has an amazing way of getting the story across to her readers. She is great at building up suspense, and keeping you reading with fast paced scenes full of action. The Immortal Rules has a mix of everything. I just can't stop thinking that the best choice Julie made with this book was to make it so dark, like I have mentioned before. It just made the book so much more interesting. I mean even Allison showed off a very dark side during several scenes in the book. I loved the idea of the different "Ranks" I guess you could say, of vampires. It was an interesting touch and I felt like it added for a lot more back story as to how things came to be as they were in the book. I still think there is a lot to learn as the series moves on though, there were a quite a few questions I had when the book was over.

I could go on and on about the story, it's such an epic experience. If you enjoy real vampires, you will want to read this story. I'm not going to go into anymore detail about the actual story, even though there is so much more I could talk about. I just feel like by doing so I would start getting into spoilers, and that is something I don't want to do. Because this book is so worth the experience of reading.

Julie has always had a way with her characters, and she didn't fail us with The Immortal Rules. There is an amazing cast of characters in this book. Allison is such an awesome character, same with Zeke. They couldn't be more different, but oddly enough they were so much alike. As of finishing the book, I feel like I am most intrigued by Kanin. I am extremely anxious to learn more about him, figure out what exactly happened and to see where things go in the next book in regards to him. Don't get me wrong, I am excited to see where things go for Allison to but there are just so many questions I have about Kanin.

The ending of the book was absolutely insane. The last few chapters were packed with action and awesome moments. I felt like the story was wrapped up nicely. I was left with the biggest smile after reading the last two sentences of the book, it just shows how awesome of a character Allison is. I don't really feel like it ended on a cliffhanger, there are a lot of things I want to know but a majority of those questions came from the beginning and middle of the book, not the end.

I apologize for this review being so long, but there was just so much I wanted to say. I can't recommend this book enough. I strongly feel like The Immortal Rules will be sitting comfortably among the list of the best books in 2012. It's such an amazing book, that is so different from her other series. If you're a fan of Julie's writing, you don't want to miss out on this book.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

04/29 page 293
02/01 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Mary H I merely liked Iron Fey so I wasn't sure what to expect with Immortal Rules. I was happy surprised that it really is pretty awesome. I can't wait for the next one!