Absynthe's Reviews > The Invisible Hands - Part 1: Gambit

The Invisible Hands - Part 1 by Andrew Ashling

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: bdsm, fantasy, m-m, nobility-royalty

EPIC. The plot and characters are truly majestic and epic. I am stunned by the depth, complexity and intricacy of this book. If I could give 6 stars, I would do so without any hesitation!!!

To truly appreciate this book, I reread the first 3 books of the series and then went right into this one. It put me in mind of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Except, ya know, Andrew Ashling actually wraps up plot points before the 8th or 9th book of the series! Andrew has a similar structure of one large plot and multiple subplots woven flawlessly together into a masterpiece of storytelling. The characters all have very distinctive voices and personalities that make them leap off the page as fully fleshed out people.

The large, ongoing plot that flowed through the first 3 books got wrapped up in the 3rd book. So this book is almost like a second series because it starts off with a new over-arching plot. What jumped out at me about this book is that everything about it is bigger than the first series. Most authors who deliver a tremendous piece of work like the first 3 books usually somehow luck into that and the rest of the work they publish from then on is lackluster and disappointing compared to their greatest book.

Not Andrew!

This book has more of everything than the first three! More complex plots, more characters, more intrigue, more scheming, and more romance.

Honestly, I think pigeonholing this book as an m/m book does a great disservice to anyone who appreciates and enjoys an epic fantasy tale.

Magnificent! A must read! I can't wait for the next book!!!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Hands - Part 1.

Samy Rose Wow … and great! You really captured the essence of Andrew Ashling's writing. Your description of his work as epic fantasy is the best description of his medieval-type series I've seen.
I was especially interested in your comment, "I think pigeonholing this book as an m/m book does a great disservice to anyone who appreciates and enjoys an epic fantasy tale."
I discovered his writing last fall and have been often exasperated by reviews, positive as well as negative, that seem to insist on referring to an Ashling book as an m/m romance, or as a "gay book,” without recognizing the larger context.
This is an outstanding book with multiple, complicated plots whose main characters happen to be gay. It’s what I’d hope to see in the future as sexual orientation/gender identity and explicit sexual scenes can be part of a book without becoming its defining label.

Bleu OMG! I just got this! I can't wait see what's going on in there! I miss everybody!

Absynthe Bleu wrote: "OMG! I just got this! I can't wait see what's going on in there! I miss everybody!"

wb! You're gonna LOVE this book!