Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > Lord of Fire and Ice

Lord of Fire and Ice by Connie Mason

**I received this book in exchange for an honest review at Book Savvy Babe Blog**

Okay, have you ever had the experience where you read a book blurb, you see the author, and you think “wow, this sounds like a great read for me!” But then, you start reading the book, and it’s not quite what you were expecting? Well, this is what happened to me with Lord of Fire and Ice.

The premise and the plot behind Lord of Fire and Ice is promising, a high-ranking man is tricked into becoming a slave to a bitter woman, they feel attraction build, the man’s spirit can’t be broken, and the woman realizes that she wants to keep the man around, as a free man and leader. The setting is a fantasy-esque, older world, where Norse gods are worshiped and magic and supernatural abilities can occur. The world was interesting, I liked the Viking and Norse mythology, but I felt indifferent to the characters, and unable to really become engaged in the story.

To begin, I was never much of a Katla fan. She is portrayed as a cold-hearted woman, but to me she felt more snobbish and bratty. She had a first husband who treated her poorly, so now she treats other people with disdain. I never really understood why she kept Brandr as a thrall (slave). Brandr’s crime was that he drank to much and his father got into a fight and killed Katla’s husband, all while Brandr was gone. Katla keeps Brandr as her thrall in hopes of vengeance against Brandr’s father, who was supposed dead. (Taking vengeance out on a dead man is pointless, so Brandr being a thrall did not make sense to me) Even as the story goes on, Katla is always acting selfishly, she can’t put herself in Brandr’s shoes or try to understand that there is more to the world than her little farm. She does learn a few lessons, but throughout the entire story, I just never really understood her.

As for Brandr, I liked him okay, he’s a strong warrior who can control fire at will. However, he spends the first half of the book in some weird, hurt-feelings and angst over Katla, the woman who unfairly held him in thrall. He never really tries to justify his side of becoming thrall, and he falls in love with Katla pretty easily. The love between them did not make much sense to me, and it’s probably because I had trouble identifying with the characters.

A big issue I had with this book is that I just didn’t get the thrall thing all together. According to this book, someone could kidnap anyone at anytime and make them a slave. Then, the thralls are held in shame for the remainder of their lives. That there are not more rules for creating thralls does not sit well with me. That means that someone could break into another’s home, shackle them in their sleep and call them a thrall. That person would be held in shame, all because they were sleeping, or just taking a walk? I may not be correct in my understanding of how the thrall’s work, but that is how I interpreted what I read.

The first half of the book is pretty slow, that is where the characters are at Katla’s farm and Brandr is in thrall. The second half, they finally branch out, travel, and more action is introduced to the story. I appreciated the action, and that Brandr finally got to be more than a slave. However, through the whole book, I felt a lack of connection with the story. I’m not sure if it was that I simply didn’t identify with the characters, or the writing didn’t draw me in, or if I was just pre-occupied with the business of the summer. In the end, Lord of Fire and Ice was not the best fit for me.

I will say that if readers like romantic fantasy books, especially if the fantasy has some paranormal/magic mixed in, you may enjoy this book, even though it was not my cup of tea. If you want to give this book a try, it released in early July and is on shelves now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Fire and Ice.

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly Stogner i was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't like this book .

Heather Book Savvy Babe Holly wrote: "i was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't like this book ."

you mean, I'm not the only one?