Mary's Reviews > Man Seeks God: My Flirtations with the Divine

Man Seeks God by Eric Weiner

May 13, 12

Read from April 28 to May 11, 2012

I was disappointed in this book. Eric Weiner's search for God starts as he is waiting to see a doctor while doubled over with stomach pains. A nurse noticing his pain and fear says to him "What's wrong haven't you found your God?" His pain turns out to be bad gas, but causes him to realize he feels that something is lacking in his life.

So he picks out several religions and gives each a week or so trial. He includes Buddism, Taoism, Catholicism, Judism (especially the Kahabbala-spelled wrong of course), Wicca, and a couple of others. He meditates, cross-dresses, prays, etc. but doesn't really find his answer. He finds some relief for his depression in each faith but no cure all.

I think I was disappointed because I was looking for a more profound survey. Something like William James' book which I own but haven't read. I also thought it was kind of strange that as he traveled to the four corners of the world during his investigations that he didn't write about being lonely and missing his wife and child.

A kind of interesting book and he does attempt to make little jokes to amuse the reader, but I wasn't really in the mood for jokes. I read the first two chapters in one evening and then had to prod myself to read the rest.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man Seeks God.