Kevin's Reviews > The Tyranny of Clichés: How Liberals Cheat in the War of Ideas

The Tyranny of Clichés by Jonah Goldberg

208149
May 10, 12

Read in May, 2012

I will have more to say when I collect my thoughts for a full review but, not surprisingly, I enjoyed Jonah's second book. It is more like a collection of essays than a straightforward book in many ways but the theme of cliches does tie it all together.

What comes through is just how much myth and mushy logica is contained in many of the catch phrases and bumper sticker slogans of the left. Jonah's argument boils down to the fact that liberalism pretends to be about facts and science and rationalism while in fact it is based on emotional and ideological constructs that don't stand up to sustained analysis. Instead, there ideology too often slips in unchallenged through the use of these cliches and innocent sounding words or concepts.

So often rathe than making arguments they simply try to label or associate there ideas and beliefs as "good" and any opposition as "bad." Jonah unpacks dozens of examples to show how time and again the history is backwards and the logical is missing.

While there is some detailed research and some rather serious arguments involved, Jonah uses a great amount of humor and wit to poke fun at the willful blindness of so much of the left and the media industrial complexes unwillingness to challenge it. It is an easy and fun read but contains a great many nuggets that will arm conservatives in the battle to force liberals to own their ideology and break up the cultural and media monopoly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tyranny of Clichés.