Erica's Reviews > Call of the Sea

Call of the Sea by Rebecca Hart

May 26, 12

Read on May 26, 2012

Oh my golly, I just loved Call of the Sea by Rebecca Hart! What a delightful little gem of a fantasy novel this one was! With her debut novel, Rebecca Hart takes a new look at the myth of the selkie, all wrapped up in a wonderful story of pirates and sailors.

Call of the Sea took a bit to get into. There was a lot of set up and world building going on in the first half of the book. Then the story just took off from there. The story was so intriguing. Call of the Sea is told in dual perspectives - from Daniel and Ellie's point of view, which worked out really nicely. Hearing both characters sides of the story was pretty great - I really enjoyed both of their voices.

I really loved the characters. Nelson was hands down my favorite character of the book - he was so charismatic, awesome, and kind of adorable. Ellie was a really spunky main character and I really admired her strength to go out and get what she wanted. I also really like Daniel - I fell for him right from the start.

My sole complaint about Call of the Sea would be that I wish a bit more had happened. I felt like for how long the book was nothing was completely resolved. The story was still great and I really enjoyed it, I was just left feeling like I wanted more. There was no complete conclusion. Which is could be a good thing, as I would love to dive back into Ellie and Daniel's world should there ever be a sequel.

Call of the Sea was a pretty stellar debut. I thought it had a few flaws, but overall was a great read. Anyone who loves a good fantasy read will not want to miss this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call of the Sea.

05/26/2012 page 149

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I can't figure out, is this adult or YA?

Erica Adult

Rebecca Hart It is technically Adult, but would be, in my opinion, also appropriate as a "New Adult" YA tale. There is one sex scene in the novel.

Rebecca