Daria's Reviews > A Wind in the Door

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle

Apr 28, 12

We read the first book "A Wrinkle in Time" to our children. Since our reading is kind of slow together I wanted to know what the second book is about. So I did a fast two days read. I have given it five stars not because it was the most capturing of children's books, but because of the ideas that are there so amazingly intertwined with the narrative.

The idea of naming, of being named in order to know oneself - I found it profound in its implications and then the opposite force of evil to unname people and things, thus shrinking them into something they are not meant to be. I wonder how children would respond to story as they probably will get at the most obvious when underneath it there is a wealth of deeper magic and beauty.

The descriptions of the singing stars that are born, the importance of their names, not numbers, the people living on a planet which they are part of, just like their cells and mitochondria are part of them - some amazing images on what creation means from a Christian AND scientific perspective.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wind in the Door.