kb's Reviews > Love and Leftovers

Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

May 01, 12

bookshelves: 2012-favorites
Read on April 28, 2012

Five stars because this exceeded expectations. After the disappointment that was Stephanie Perkins's Lola and The Boy Next Door, I couldn't get too worked up with this book, what with that atrociously cliched cover, BUT NO, THIS BOOK DISAGREED. And it wow-ed me (and made me tear up), to be completely honest; to think I'm not too big about verses, in general. Sarah Tregay successfully portrayed 17-year-old Marcie's life of being a child of divorce, a child of lousy parenting due to bisexuality (dad; though, he turned out to be v. unpredictably cool) and depression (mom), a girlfriend in a long-distance relationship, a cheating girlfriend in a long-distance relationship, a friend through instant messaging in short sentences that said and meant more than if this book were written in narratives. Every little thing felt just about right, like Tregay wasn't reading too much into her thoughts and just went on to make the story as it should naturally go.

Yay!s
-As I am also in a Gilmore Girls marathon where Jess is getting in between Rory and Dean, I was very much into the love triangle going on among Marcie, her Dan-Humphrey-ish boyfriend Linus and the David-Beckham-ish non-boyfriend J.D.
-Tregay, perhaps due to the fact that she was a graphic designer, hit it so perfectly with her descriptions. Here are two examples:
Kissing J.D.

I feel
like I'm standing
in a rocking canoe.

In Katie, You Don't Understand

My mother is so distant
I need a telescope to see her.

Yes, these aren't particularly profound and groundbreaking but to me, the simplest similes and metaphors are the best.
-Like in Perkins's Lola, which was the last book I read, this one also had a gay parent. Somebody should tell the prudes to legalize gay marriages already.

Boo!s
-Maybe I'm a buzz kill but I would have preferred that Marcie and her ex-boyfriend didn't get back together. Linus sounds like a dream, sure, but Marcie needs some space and time to grow out into a much mature and clear-minded person that she can be.
-P.S. No sequels or other novels, Tregay??? You deserve more publication!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Leftovers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chachic (new) - added it

Chachic Err, maybe you can use the spoiler tag for this bit: (view spoiler)

message 2: by kb (new) - rated it 5 stars

kb Chachic wrote: "Err, maybe you can use the spoiler tag for this bit:
"

Hahaha ya, I know I should have done that, but I'm a bit pro-spoilage (if that's even a word!).