Chapter by Chapter's Reviews > Wings of Arian

Wings of Arian by Devri Walls

Jul 19, 12

Read from July 09 to 12, 2012

I am a sucker for fantasy reads, and will admit that I don’t read enough of them! But when I do, it takes everything in me to not just continue reading fantasy only. But then the stories get all jumbled up in my head, and I end with a completely ridiculous story made up of like 3 different stories. So, when I do get my hands on a fantasy book, I sure as heck hope it’s one that will take me up, up, and away.

Devri Walls’ Wings of Arian did just that. The world that was created was one that comes straight out of a fantasy movie which reminded me of The Lord of the Rings mixed with The Never Ending Story. Magic, dragons, warriors, fairy-type people…did I mention magic? Magic plays a huge role in this book.

The story revolves around a sixteen year old girl named Kiora who has just been learned that she is the Solus, the one who was prophesized to help the people in winning the battle versus evil. We watch as she quickly grows accustomed to her new magical abilities, and grow into the magical force that they have all been waiting for. I wish that we were shown in the beginning how Aleric managed to find Kiora, and prove that she was in fact, the Solus. In the beginning of the novel, we read how Aleric is able to sense that evil is returning and that they must now seek out the Solus who will be the one who will lead them to victory, so says the prophecy. Then the scene cuts, and then it opens up to the Solus being found and already knowledgeable in magics. It would have been interesting to see how Kiora deals with the knowledge.

Basically, Kiora and her new found magical friends, including Prince Emane (who by the way was so cute and sometimes very sweet) are on a mission to gain as much power and knowledge as they can, to prepare for their battle against Dralazar and his band of misfits. Sounds simple enough… Not! With the 411 out that Kiora is the Solus, Dralazar does everything he can to try and capture Kiora so that he can use her for… tsk tsk, you’ll have to read the book to find out why!

I really enjoyed the writing style of Devri Walls. She included a lot of humor, and there were a few emotional parts that did touch me (hello… Morcant!). I really loved the interaction between Kiora and Prince Emane, though there were points in the book where I was annoyed with their constant bickering. My favorite part that involved these two was during the sword training. So playful, and very cute! I couldn’t help but smile as I was reading it, and I certainly can’t wait to see what sort of adventure Kiora and Prince Emane will have in the next installment.

Fans of Fantasy will fall in love with the characters and the world created in Wings of Arian.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings of Arian.