Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru's Reviews > Captive in the Dark

Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts

Synopsis:

Caleb is a man with a singular interest in revenge. Kidnapped as a young boy and sold into slavery by a power-hungry mobster, he has thought of nothing but vengeance. For twelve years he has immersed himself in the world of pleasure slaves searching for the one man he holds ultimately responsible. Finally, the architect of his suffering has emerged with a new identity, but not a new nature. If Caleb is to get close enough to strike, he must become the very thing he abhors and kidnap a beautiful girl to train her to be all that he once was.

Eighteen-year-old Olivia Ruiz has just woken up in a strange place. Blindfolded and bound, there is only a calm male voice to welcome her. His name is Caleb, though he demands to be called Master. Olivia is young, beautiful, naïve and willful to a fault. She has a dark sensuality that cannot be hidden or denied, though she tries to accomplish both. Although she is frightened by the strong, sadistic, and arrogant man who holds her prisoner, what keeps Olivia awake in the dark is her unwelcome attraction to him.

WARNING: This book contains very disturbing situations, dubious consent, strong language, and graphic violence.

My Thoughts:

Whoa.

More in-depth thoughts to come.

But really. Whoa.

This book is so wrong. We start off getting Caleb's POV and we see him stalking a girl. A girl he's going to kidnap in order to use as a tool for revenge. First, he's just watching her, but when she unknowingly cements herself as being the perfect girl for him to train, he takes her. But not without first meeting her when she's being harassed by some random guy on the street. She thinks he's her savior. Too bad she soon comes to realize that he's her jailor.

From the start, Livvie is terrified. Some strange men have taken her and one obviously wants to hurt her after she fought back once she initially woke up. It's her worst nightmare come to life. Anyone would be terrified in her situation. And it's all made worse when she finds out that the one that had her taken is the man that she encountered on that fateful day.

From there, Livvie endures some harsh ordeals. She's spanked, fondled and has some of her first sexual experiences ever all at the hands of her captor. Only, she thinks that maybe he isn't so bad. He seems to want her, after all. He seems to care. Still, when the opportunity presents itself, she runs. I can't blame her for that. But it took her right into an even worse situation. I was really scared for her when she woke up in that bathroom and those gang members were trying to rape her. It's hard to say if she was lucky or not that Caleb showed up and got her out of there. She nearly died. But her life really didn't improve by much after that. She finally learns why Caleb took her and she is not happy about that. She's devastated as she should be. I felt so bad for her. Especially after everything that she's gone through with her mother. And still her life seemed like it just couldn't go right. It was like her mother laid a jinx on her by calling her a whore all the time. It seemed that it was where she was destined to end up.

Caleb for his part is a bad man. And yet, because of his POVs, I couldn't hate him. If not for those, I would have hated his guts. I couldn't because I knew he cared. I knew he didn't completely want to be doing what he was doing. Still, that didn't keep him from enjoying it and getting off on what he was putting Livvie through. But it was so obvious that he was falling in love even if he didn't realize it himself. He knew he felt something, but he never would have equated it with love. He's a monster and he knows it. What does he know about love? Not a damn thing. But he was starting to feel it and that mattered. It just sucked that it didn't stop him from doing what he knew was wrong. Make no mistake about it, he knew it was wrong. But he cared. I don't know if that makes the situation better or worse. For Livvie, it was a bit of both.

I really enjoyed this. It made my heart damn near pound out of my chest because I was terrified over what would happen to Livvie. Especially during that near rape by those gang members. I was proud of her, though. She was obviously falling for her captor, but she still got the hell out of there when she could. It didn't improve her situation in any way, but she tried. I kept waiting for Caleb to take her and make a run for it, but he didn't. I understood why, but how could someone that's been through what he is train someone else to do the same thing? For Caleb, choosing Livvie was both the right and wrong choice. I couldn't put this down, though. It was despicable, but the sweet moments could be so freaking sweet. I couldn't just get angry and stay that way. I wanted the two of them to be together somehow. Since it didn't happen her, I had to find out just what would happen and when we find out that Rafiq is on his way to Mexico to check Caleb's progress, I picked up book 2 with the quickness.

There are a lot of reasons not to read this book, but there are plenty reasons for you to give it a shot. It's scary, but there is love her. A really fucked up love, but it's there. It's worth reading.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive in the Dark.

05/08/2013 marked as: currently-reading
1.0% "And now to go in a completely different direction." 2 comments
05/08/2013
3.0% "Seems he's a bit coflicted for now."
05/08/2013
6.0% "Yeah, I'd be pretty damned terrified, too."
05/08/2013
14.0% "Jair = not a very smart kidnapper"
05/08/2013
23.0% "She had wanted him because of that day. This must be so confusing for her."
05/08/2013
30.0% "He's as lost as she is. Probably even more."
05/08/2013
55.0% "She is so under his skin."
05/08/2013
72.0% "Brave of her to try, but she got herself into an even worse situation."
05/08/2013 marked as: read