MissM's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: nook, read-2012
Read from April 27 to 29, 2012

I don't get it. I don't know why this book is so well liked. I found it highly disturbing and downright creepy - and not in a good way.

First, I didn't like the main character, Penryn. Besides an absurd name (what is with stupid names on characters these days? Especially when you know in real life, someone would go by something different and normal, like "Penny" or something?) I felt like she was very forced and one-dimensional. I also thought it was highly convenient that she had all this various martial arts training. (Explained away in a really bizarre way.)

I didn't like her Mom. It was like she showed up, acted crazy in a scene and then disappeared only to somehow arrive exactly where Penryn was later on, miles and cities and days apart. It seemed so unbelievable.

I didn't like the whole end of the world thing since there was no info. It didn't make sense, there was no understanding why everything was in shambles and yet houses were still standing and people still around. HOW did it happen and WHAT happened? Why do you sometimes have electricity? Wouldn't it be down for good? And why do some areas have uninterrupted food and power? You can't understand the living conditions and setting if you aren't told what actually happens.

I didn't like Raffe. Of course he's stunningly beautiful (yawn) but he's also almost bipolar; one minute he's being blatantly affectionate, the next an ass. Oh, big surprise, he's attracted/in love with Penryn but he's pushing her away because humans are forbidden. Wow, original.

Then you get to the end. And it's all creepy, evil scientist shit. Mutilated sorta-dead bodies of children, disturbing human experimentation, monstrous creatures feeding from human woman in giant test-tubes, etc. Gross and WTF? It came so far out of left field and was so out of place it really turned my stomach. We got into weird Island of Dr. Moreau horror for no real reason.

And of course, we have a weird non-ending conclusion where it's just left for an obvious sequel. Ugh, no thanks.

All in all, I don't get it. I don't understand why people like this so much. There was almost nothing I liked about it at all.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

04/28/2012
40.0% "Showed up on the "recommended for you" list here on Good Reads. So far, I'm not sure. Still reading."

Butterfly_Kisses Finally! someone who agrees with me! It was horrible. Don't know how I finished it!

Natalie Totally agree with you, I gave it a 2-star review too!

message 3: by Kelley (new)

Kelley THANK YOU. I felt like half the things at the end were just unnecessary nightmare fuel- wasn't their world horrible enough already? I didn't even finish this book, and I do not understand all the hype it's gotten. I think I have a problem with YA angel-themed books.

esther thank-you, so glad i'm not the only person who sees the amount of faults in this book :)