Wendy F's Reviews > Special Forces - Soldiers

4019599
May 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites, gritty, lgbt, my-lovers, top-shelf-favorites
Read from April 28 to May 04, 2012

Good lord! This is one hard book to shelve! Is it contemporary? It takes place in a time that in other books I would still consider contemporary (like an early Troubleshooters book), but it's setting is a significant historical event that took place in the 1980s. Though you can't really call it a historical fiction because... well, because it feels too current. Though I guess 25 years is pretty significant. I refuse to label it 'erotica' even though it has many graphic sex scenes, but I feel like that label is too limiting; it's soooooo much deeper than that. BUT, I can't call it a romance either because, again, that's way too small of a box for this book. In the end I'm leaving off ALL of those shelves and I'm sticking to the important ones, the ones that really keep the integrity of this very complicated story. It's gritty, intensely so, it has 2 complicated men who fall in love, and it is definitely up there as a favorite, possibly a soul book but that takes a little more ruminating.

You guys, if you can handle very graphic descriptions of m/m relationships and a very brutal, albeit probably realistic, portrayal of war then you should READ. THIS. BOOK.

Dan is a British SAS soldier in 1980 stationed in Afghanistan during the war, where he meets Vadim, a Soviet Union Spetsnaz Captain under 2 very violent circumstances that makes mortal enemies out of these two men. However they quickly find that there's a fine line between bone deep hatred and lust, and as life continues to toss them into each other they slowly find that hatred also is just a breath away from something they never ever expected.

Dan is reckless and wild, full of smart ass comments and smirks. The author shows you exactly why Vadim can't stop thinking about him even as mortal enemies. He's got that x-factor that just makes him pop right off the page. I say he's like a mix between Jamie Fraser from Outlander and Qhuinn from the BDB. Full of life and charisma (Dan would say he totally resembles that, heehee). Vadim is more tightly reigned and cold, at least at first glance. Once you really get to know him you see how deep his emotions and sensitivity goes. He can be vicious and brutal, but when he loves he loves with everything, total and complete. Together they made my pulse pound and my face flush, and not always in the good way. Remember, this book is BRUTAL. These men, they are not always good men. They make each other want to be better.

This is not a short book, and I will say that this is only book one in a long 4 book long story. But please don't let the bulk intimidate you. Sometimes you can get the depth you need in 300 pages, but sometimes you can't. This book needed a page count for the reader to overcome the horror at the start. The only possible way that you could walk away from this book believing it is with time, you need to feel the gradual change between Dan and Vadim. I'm a firm believer that in all books you need a balance. You need the bad of the book to really feel the good, just the same as you need good in order to care about the bad. And this book was the perfect balance because it wasn't afraid to take it's time and be as aggressive as it needed to be, both in the hate and with the love. If this book had been any shorter you would never have believed that these two could have come so far emotionally. It was absolutely perfectly written. It was steal your breath away.

There has only ever been 3 romantic books that have consumed me on a level such as this, and I have absolutely no qualms about comparing this book to those. Special Forces - Soldiers is amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Special Forces - Soldiers.

Quotes Wendy F Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“He’d do anything, absolutely everything for this man, suck him, kill, kill himself, run away, be something else, anything else, everything just blurred, darkness, a place inside that only held him and Dan. Nobody else, nothing else, no time, no place, no affiliations, no past, no future.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Blood, pain and an all-surpassing lust for one man settled so deeply into his bones, the need had become part of him. Bottomless, like the touch he craved. Vadim.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“You're my home. I will find you.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Dan's voice was rough and low as he murmured against Vadim's lips. 'I hate you, Russkie.' No. He didn't, but he couldn't find the right word for this. This feeling. Hatred was the closest he could get. The alternative was still unthinkable.”

Marquesate
“Dan reached out, his hand rested on the other's abs, under the blankets. Felt heat creep from the skin, feeding it back again. "How long did they have you? You look like a fair few beatings at least."
Vadim looked down at his body, tensed the muscle to keep that weight there, nice and snug. "Two days. Like weekend with in-laws, eh?" Tried a smile. "Bad food, and they hate you."
Nodding, Dan's eyes narrowed, could just about imagine what it had been like. "I don't take kindly to those who try to take away from me what is mine.”

Marquesate
“Looks like I'll be sucking your cock for food, but entirely my way."
Vadim paused. "No. Food is free. I'll give you money so you can buy food."
Dan's head hidden, lowered, Vadim couldn't see his facial expression. Surprise. Astonishment, his Russkie was more decent to him than he'd expected. Had hoped for a scrap to eat, but this treatment was more of a royal one. "You're treating me like I used to treat my pussies." Dan smirked, lifting his head.
"You shaved their heads? You weird man." Vadim chuckled while Dan muttered one of his choice obscenities.”

Marquesate
“Russkie, promise me a simple thing?" Out of the blue when they had finished, after a mouthful from the mug. Dan seemed relaxed, leaning on his side. Resting back, savoring the taste, Vadim turned his head to look at Dan. Oh, that body. The effect it had on him, all the time, even when Dan wasn't there. Twelve months. "Promise what?"
Sometimes, that kind of thing was about letters. Tell my girl I love her. Tell my mother I didn't suffer. Almost painful. Letters. Words that would hurt worse than the killing bullet.
"Simple." Dan nodded, "if I'm unlucky, and if you find my body, will you bury it? Some rocks would do, I can't stand the thought of carrion's. As if that mattered, eh? I'd be fucking dead." Dan shrugged, tossed a grin towards the other, made light of an entirely far too heavy situation. He took the bottle once more, washing down the taste of death and decay, chasing away unbidden images.
Vadim felt a shudder race over his skin. The thought of death chilled him to the bone, like a premonition. For a moment he saw himself stagger through enemy territory, looking for something that had been Dan. Minefields, snipers, fucking Hind hellfire. He might be able to track him. He might be able to guess where he had gone, where he had fallen. He had found the occasional pilot. But he had had help. Finding a dead man in a country full of dead people was more of a challenge.
"I'll send you home," he murmured. Stay alive, he thought. Stay alive like you are now. I don't want to carry your rotting body to fucking Kabul and hand myself in to whatever bastard is your superior or handler there, but it must be Kabul. I can't hand myself over. But I will. Fuck you. He felt his face twitch, and turned away, breathing.
"No, I have no home anymore." Dan's hand stopped Vadim from turning over fully. Fingers digging into the muscular thigh. "Not my brother's family. Nowhere to send the body to. Forget it." Grip tightening while he moved closer. Ignored the heat, the damned fan and its monotonous creaking, pressed his body behind the other. "You're as close to a fucking home as I get.”

Marquesate
“Dan didn't know how violently he was biting. Just the absolute closeness. Once upon a time he'd hated that body, smashed it, kicked it, beat it into a bleeding pulp, but now he wanted to crawl into it, or kill it, and maim it, to possess it, eat, tear, destroy it, to take it and never leave it again.
His. The body was his, the man was his. His, his, his alone!”

Marquesate
“You conquered me, got to this Special Forces bloke well and truly." His voice husky and low. "You could betray and kill me now and I wouldn't give a shit as long as you'd stay close until I died.”

04/29/2012
04/30/2012
46.0% "This is the best, sweetest moment so far!!!"
05/02/2012
71.0% "Dare I say it! Is this love story in this book getting to me in a way that's comparible to Outlander??! THIS will be a First!!"
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leea I started :) How far did you get?

Wendy F I'm somewhere around 30%.

What are you thinking? I heard about how it starts and how brutal it is, but man it is BRUTAL! Hahaha. I'll be curious to see what you guys think.

Leea It's really brutal and i'm not sure about that first scene. I ashamed to say I was almost captivated by it and couldn't stop reading. Like the outcome would change or something.

Wendy F It was so hard to read. Especially as you get more into Dan and Vadim's relationship. It starts out built on such hatred.

Leea I'm going to respond in the buddy read thread :)

Leea Dang speed reader... :)

Wendy F Hahahaha! I can't help it! I'm addicted. Leea, I'm loving this book!

Leea Same here. Unlike anything I've ever read. I feel like we get a glimps into the make brain. It's fascinating lol!