Rose's Reviews > How to Ruin a Summer Vacation

How to Ruin a Summer Vacation by Simone Elkeles

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: did-not-finish, irritating-main-character, young-adult, first-in-series
Read on April 28, 2012

I had so many problems with this book that in the end, I had to give up on it. I got to the tenth chapter and realized that it wasn’t getting any better for me and threw in the towel. I’m not going to give the book a rating because I didn’t finish it, but if I were to do so, it would be a 0.5 out of 5, because I liked the setting (which was terribly under-utilized).

My main issue with How to Ruin a Summer Vacation was with Amy, the main character. She was vile. She was spoiled, rude, selfish, offensive, and immature. She didn’t have a single redeeming quality, at least nothing that showed up in the nine chapters that I read. It didn’t make sense to me either that she suddenly had this great bond with her grandmother of all people, while she was clearly distainful and overwhelmingly horrible to every single other family member she met in Israel. She was judgemental and close-minded and I just don’t get how so many people enjoyed reading about her.

Also, I really would have appreciated it if the author had just written everyone’s name out the way it was really spelled, instead of all of Amy’s butchered interpretations of the Hebrew names. I get why the author wrote it that way, but it didn’t work for me at all. I really just wanted to slap some respect into Amy and tell her to smarten up.

This book was a major miss for me, and I’m afraid I won’t be giving it another shot anytime soon, nor will I be reading the sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Ruin a Summer Vacation.

04/28/2012 page 70
30.0% "I'm trying to like this book, but Amy is insufferable."
04/28/2012 page 70
30.0% "I'm trying to like this book, but Amy is insufferable."
04/28/2012 "Nope, it's not going to happen. I'm done."