Miranda Merrill's Reviews > What's Left of Me

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

Jul 28, 13

bookshelves: arc, ya-dystopia
Read from July 24 to September 06, 2012

What's Left Of Me by Kat Zhang was an awesome ride that I didn't want to get off of. From the opening pages till the heart stopping end this book grabbed a hold off me and it still hasn't let go.

What's Left Of Me is the story about a 15 year old girl trying to survive in a world where everyone is born with two souls. Most peoples two souls settled when the dominant soul takes over and the weaker soul disappears. Addie has a secret her other soul is still inside her. Eva stays hidden inside wanting desperately to be able to control the body but she is weaker then Addie. They must keep Eva hidden from everyone for not settling is a terrible thing that the government doesn't want to happen. Anyone that still has two souls is called a hybrid and the government sends them away to institutions. Where no one knows what happens to them. Everything is going good for Addie/Eva until they befriend Hally a girl from school and she tells them there is away for Eva to begin to take control. This is the chance Eva has always wanted but at what cost will it come.

This story could have gone horribly wrong in the writing and it could have been very confusing but Kat Zhang does a wonderful job with this story and it was such a great read. I loved that the story was told by the recessive soul Eva it made the story all the more wonderful listening to her struggles and gave the story a fresh perspective. The characters were all well written even with the double souls the author once again crafted it so you could tell which soul was in charge just by there personality. The world building was well done and made me feel like this world could exist. We were given just enough information to understand the world, but were left with caps that I am sure as this series progresses will be filled in. Another big plus for me with this story was the romance it was there, but it was very subtly done which made for a better read. I like that the romance took a backseat and we dealt with more of the heart of the matter.

Overall this book is going on my favorites shelf and I will definitely be revisiting this world that Kat Zhang has crafted. I will be waiting very anxiously for the rest of this series to come out so I can get the answers I am dying to find out. I also can't wait to find out what happens to Eva/Addie. Two big thumbs up for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Left of Me.