Emma's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Jan 24, 13

bookshelves: ya, bored-now
Read from April 28 to May 02, 2012

Things I read instead of finishing Catching Fire.....

A paper
Goodreads review
A magazine
Another paper
Another goodreads review
Wikipedia Entry for Jean Cocteau
Another goodreads review
Another paper
Blog entry ‘How I managed to get kicked out of Jersey (UK)’. Oh my fair Isle, how I love your red tape
Goodreads review
Bloomsbury budget edition tax tables 2012/13 (I was posted a free copy and got a bit over excited)

Anyhoo. My point being, all of the above was infinitely more interesting than catching fire. Which is such a shame.

So thus far, my hunger games experience can be summed up as follows:

The Hunger Games – I inhaled it and got a wonderful book world buzz. LOVED.

Catching fire – see above.

Mockingjay – I’ll keep an open mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny Hey, you're also playing Things That Are More Fun Than Suzanne Collins! It's a good game, isn't it?

Shovelmonkey1 I'd like to add this review, Grazia and Vogue to the list of things I've read instead of finishing The Raw Shark Texts.

Emma Manny – tis indeed a good game. I had an enjoyable week avoiding catching fire. I avoided the hunger games for quite a while actually and only succumbed because I hated not knowing what the buzz was about (plus I want to see the film). The first book was worth it though, I just wonder how the second one turned out so.....boring. I feel a little cheated and have never been less inspired by a revolution (and I’m from French peasant stock and am a revolutionary type of gal).

Shovelmonkey1 - Grazia was my choice of magazine too. I suspect when I’m reading Mockingjay I’ll become a prolific reader of fashion. Bit like when I was studying for my finals and I decided to run a marathon and take flower arranging classes. I have a hard time focusing sometimes.

message 4: by Manny (new)

Manny I'm still enjoying not reading the first book... I want it to last as long as possible. The way I've set things up, I may be able to continue until September or even later. And then I can look forward to not reading the second and third volumes for several months each. It'll be so much fun!

Shovelmonkey1 Manny wrote: "I'm still enjoying not reading the first book... I want it to last as long as possible. The way I've set things up, I may be able to continue until September or even later. And then I can look forw..."

When will you be succumbing to 50 shades of Grey and what will your avoidance tactics be?

message 6: by Manny (new)

Manny Oh, if you look at the comment thread of my review, you'll see that as soon as I've finished not reading Suzanne Collins I'll start not reading Fifty Shades. But I still haven't decided what I'll not read after that.

Shovelmonkey1 Hmm if we were friends then I could spy on what you are not reading more easily...

message 8: by Manny (new)

Manny I must confess that I am also curious to know what you are not reading! Happy to accept :)

Shovelmonkey1 I am not reading
Twilight
Harry Potter
Any shades of any colour
Hungry games

This week I am all about theoretical sharks.

message 10: by Manny (new)

Manny That's a lot of not reading! You must be quite exhausted.

Shovelmonkey1 My eyes are very tired it is true but it is a sacrifice I am prepared to make in order to waste my time on other things. Sigh.

Julie It's teen fiction. Been done before in various guises, post apocalyptic. First book I enjoyed in a detached kind of way. The second book seemed to be filling in time until you could predict what was happening in the third book. I have teenage daughters o felt obliged to get the trilogy out of the way . Funnily enough they didnt like the second book either. The films will probably be better than the books as so much will be cut out :-)

message 13: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich Hah! I'm glad Bloomsbury budget edition tax tables 2012/13 makes the list. I've heard similar complaints about this series a lot

message 14: by Emma (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emma s.penkevich wrote: "Hah! I'm glad Bloomsbury budget edition tax tables 2012/13 makes the list. I've heard similar complaints about this series a lot"

Hey! You’re welcome to my copy of the tax tables. Budget edition and everything. Sadly not signed by the chancellor.

To be fair, I quite enjoyed the first book. The film was ok too actually.

message 15: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich I still have yet to see/read the first installment, but I've heard that one is exciting. She just fumbles it after that? Sometimes people need to leave a good story alone and not try to stretch everything into an epic triology.

Ha, that is a lot of excitement between the covers there I'm sure. It'll probably just make me realize I'm accidentally cheating on my taxes somehow and then I'll have to go into hiding or be put into some sort of Hunger Games competition as punishment.

message 16: by Emma (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emma I think the Hunger Games is a pretty good concept and a great story, which was well executed in the first book. The anticipation that something gruesome might happen kept me reading and I felt present in the Games. The second one really bored me, the holes in the world building started to niggle and I hated the love triangle. Yeah, a triology was not needed.

I went to see the film with a friend who HATED it (the bits he stayed awake for anyway). I offered to lend him the book and he refused to even try it, dismissing my claims that it was a good story as irrelevant; he required good writing. He is a total book snob but I had to kinda agree once I got to book 2. I need good writing damn it!

message 17: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich Ah yeah, good writing is crucial. Plot can pull you through something short, just because you HAVE to know whats going on, but once it gets dragged through several books you have the opportunity to step back and really analyze the mechanics.

Audrey ❦❦❦ Emma, I know how you feel. I read this because I thought I must be missing out on something because "everyone else" seemed to rave about this series. Turns out I was using up valuable minutes of my life where I could have been doing something much more useful, like laundry.

Suriyah Henry I agree with you all. while I spent my time reading all three volumes I realized that each book ended terribly. The first book ended quite well if you ask me, while the second book ended terribly. Finally the last book was tragic. It made me really dislike the whole series. However, I will say that the writer does quite the job on both the concept and the meaning that are in-between the lines. Her use of the struggle of poverty, and continued bashing of the government was quite interesting and a joy to read.