Lauren Murphy's Reviews > The Girl Who Fell From The Sky

The Girl Who Fell From The Sky by Simon Mawer

May 25, 12

bookshelves: historical
Read from May 02 to 05, 2012

Set in wartime France, The Girl Who Fell from The Sky by Simon Mawer is an intriguing story about a fictional young woman who was sent into the field by the French section of the Special Operations Excutive in the 1940’s.

Marian Sutro, a young woman in England is summoned to an interview with the Special Operations Executive who wants to make use of her native French speaking skills. She trains to become an undercover agent (a.k.a British terrorist) to infiltrate Paris and work with the resistance. From what to do if she is interrogated to how to shoot a gun, Marian is equipped with a new identity (Ann-Marie) and is parachuted into South-West France along with associate Benoit.

Marian catches the eye of Benoit prior to the mission and they have a brief romantic encounter that creates some confusion in their friendship. Benoit seems to desire Marian exclusively but she is too preoccupied by her teenage crush Clement, an older male friend who she was separated from many years prior when he remained in Paris at the beginning of the war.

Not coincidentally, Clement is a successful physicist in his field and is wanted back in England and it is Marian’s secondary mission to convince him to do it. With naïve hopes of reuniting with Clement, she accepts the mission only to find out Clement’s life went on when their friendship ceased while she was still at school.

Marian is a naïve young woman with a sharp tongue when she accepts the mission with and desires to make her family see her as successful and important. The growth in her character is evident as she completely immerses in the role of Ann-Marie and links in with the resistance network in Paris while trying to keep up her French persona. Life-threatening situations on a daily basis test Marian’s strength and composure and ability to focus on the task at hand. I felt disappointed for her when she does reunite with Clement as it does not go how she unconsciously desired, but on the other hand I had a soft spot for cheeky, candid Benoit too. With the war looming, Marian juggles her conflicting desires for both of these men.

When I requested to review this book, I was instantly intrigued by the premise- a young woman going undercover during the war. The first chapter was captivating; with Marian parachuting out of a plane and then the story goes back to how it all began and what happens after the drop into France. Although I really liked the characters in the story, the relationships and Marian’s inner conflicts in the context of the war, I felt there could have been more happening in the plot to demonstrate Marian’s specialized skills in the field. The story was a little slow in the middle and I was a little disappointed by the ending, it didn’t end quite how I’d hoped. But I suppose it was a clear feminist point of reference that no man was going to save the day for Marian.

If you enjoy war stories with a strong heroine then I’d recommend The Girl Who Fell from the Sky which provides a unique premise in this heavily written about era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Fell From The Sky.