FicTalk Blog's Reviews > Rot and Ruin

Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-in-2012

Reviewed by Heather

Benny Imura was only a toddler when ‘First Night’ happened fourteen years ago. His first memory is of his older brother, Tom, running away with him while his mother is being dragged down by their father, a zombie. Benny has always thought Tom was a coward for running away and leaving his mother behind.

But the entire town of Mountainside looks at Tom as some kind of hero since his job is as a bounty hunter that kills zombies. When Benny turns fifteen, he must find a job in town and reluctantly accepts one as Tom’s apprentice, learning the family business.

Together, Tom and Benny travel into the Rot and Ruin. What Benny thinks will be a job full of whacking zombies turns out to be so much more. Tom teaches Benny exactly what the family business is and helps Benny to see the ‘zoms’ in a whole new light.

I was a little disappointed in this book at first. There just didn’t seem to be enough zombie action in it for me. But then the further I got in to the book I learned that this wasn’t just a book about zombies. This book was about people. What fear does to people. How people react in certain situations.

Maberry did an excellent job writing Benny. Benny is portrayed as the typical teenager with typical teenage problems, aside from having to work in the playground of the zombies. But I have to say that Tom is my favorite character. Although for most of the book Benny sees him as a coward, I think that Tom sounds like the perfect big brother. I love when Benny finally realizes that maybe his memories aren’t exactly what they seem to be.

Overall, this book was the start of a great series that I can’t wait to continue reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rot and Ruin.