Kathleen Harsch's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith

Apr 29, 12

Read from April 28 to 29, 2012

I thought this book held an interesting premise, Abraham Lincoln wanting to free our country of vampires. It is entertainment for entertainment's sake and will probably make a very action packed movie. As a book, however, it dragged in places.

However, although this book is written about an intellectual man, it is not per se intellectual. Yeah, there's real quotes by Lincoln and a poem by Mary and some other realistic type intellectualism portrayed, but Lincoln seems simplistically centered on the reason for him wanting to abolish slavery, to end vampirism.

Slavery is such a sensitive issue, and I believe that there really wasn't much thought given here to that. Over and over again, the book mentions slaves as being a food source for vampires and that's why the Southern vampires, the Confederacy, wanted to keep them and the reason Lincoln was against the vampires; however, it doesn't address the fact that Lincoln hated slavery because he hated the idea of a man being master over another man.

"I repeat the declaration made a year ago, that 'while I remain in my present position I shall not attempt to retract or modify the emancipation proclamation, nor shall I return to slavery any person who is free by the terms of that proclamation, or by any of the Acts of Congress.' If the people should, by whatever mode or means, make it an Executive duty to re-enslave such persons, another, and not I, must be their instrument to perform it." Lincoln's Fourth Annual Message to Congress, December 6, 1864.

"We were proclaiming ourselves political hypocrites before the world, by thus fostering Human Slavery and proclaiming ourselves, at the same time, the sole friends of Human Freedom." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume II, "Speech at Springfield, Illinois" (October 4, 1854), p. 242.

"Without slavery the rebellion could never have existed; without slavery it could not continue." Lincoln's Second Annual Message to Congress, December 1, 1862.

"I have always thought that all men should be free; but if any should be slaves it should be first those who desire it for themselves, and secondly those who desire it for others." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VIII, "Speech to One Hundred Fortieth Indiana Regiment" (March 17, 1865), p. 361.

For entertainment value, the book is a good read, but I think it could have been better had the writer dug just a little bit deeper with the concepts of freedom and slavery. To me, it came off as a quasi-literary novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.

04/28/2012 page 320
95.0% "Fast, fascinating read so far!"
show 2 hidden updates…