Charli B-'s Reviews > Damned

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, horror, humor, contemporary, ya
Recommended to Charli by: Nobody.
Recommended for: Anyone who likes social commentary styles.
Read from April 20 to 28, 2012, read count: Once

This is the first book I read of Chuck Palahniuk, I read one of his short stories beforehand, in Stories: All-new tales which I remember (after looking at the book) called Loser... I have a faint remembrance of the actual tale, but I remember I found it entertaining... What pushed me to try this particular book? I'm not too sure, actually. I remember a friend telling me, when I was reading Stories: All-new tales, that Chuck had a strange way of seeing the world. That he was a bit crazy and I wondered... Is his crazy compatible with my type of crazy? So a couple weeks after our conversation on Chuck, I decided to give him a real try, as in trying an actual book... I could have tried a classic of his, but first Fight club isn't at the library I go to. (I know, right!! Outrageous, I'll have to buy it... -I just found this small book shop... It may be my first quest, haha) Plus, I really liked the title and everything about it, actually. It sounded promising. It is promising. I just... Something bothered me and I'm not sure what.

I gave it a four stars a couple hours after finishing it, but now that I'm writing this, I'm actually changing it for a three. I liked it, I kind of really liked it... It really is entertaining and funny and I saw myself in Maddy, which I'm no 13 year old, but still. The three stars may be because of the loose ends that the book doesn't cover, but it's a to be continued, so if that's the case; I'm not being very fair. It's an easy read, I like the descriptions and the imagination behind it all. I really enjoyed that part, all the nooks and crannies that made this a light but enjoyable read, -I know, I'm babbling, but I'm still trying to figure out what went "wrong" with the book that it couldn't get a four or a five-. Though, I don't believe this is a book I'd read over and over again.

I'll leave this review as is and I may edit it later on, whenever or if ever I figure out what's 'wrong'.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damned.