Kyle's Reviews > Fall for Anything

Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers

M 50x66
I'm not a big contemporary reader. I know lots of people who only read that, and it's their comfort zone in terms of reading. I can't really say I have a "comfort zone", however this genre hasn't dissapointed me as much as the ones I read most often, which I believe to be PNR/UF, sci-fi/dystopia. Maybe it's because I limit myself to only the raw and gritty kind. Nope, Anna and the French Kiss and I will probably never cross literary paths.

So, imagine my surprise when I come across This Is Not a Test, with it's dark, edgy cover, and alluring promise of the zombie apocalypse. I only knew Courtney Summers for her contemporary novels that looked girly, and not for me. Well, then I used my brain, checked out the descriptions of her other books, and realized they seemed anything but nice. Then, my mind was further blown by the glowing reviews from trusted friends.

Then, my mission was set: I needed to read all by this author before This Is Not a Test came out. So far, I just need to read one more, and mission accomplished.

Eddie Reeves is grieving over the suicide of her legendary phtographer father, after he jumped off a building a month ago. Her mother has not changed clothes since the funeral, and her mother's friend (who Eddie despises, and vice versa) Beth comes to keep her mother going. Yet Eddie is haunted by the question of why. Why, when he had a wife that loved him? Why, when he had a taste of fame? Most importantly, why when he had the daughter that loved him more than anything? Then, while investigating the site of his suicide once again (she does so every night), she meets Culler Evans, who it turns out was one of the rare students her father had, and he has found something that her father left behind in the building: his calling card on a door. Soon, more clues begin popping up, and to solve the question of why, Eddie and Culler embark on a journey to unravel the suicide of their idol.

Eddie and her mother's grief is so real, so palpable, that the book was making me depressed. The book even haunted my dreams afterward (well, it was a combination of this and my least favorite book, Born at Midnight, but it influenced the feelings inside of it), which is very rare for me. Courtney Summers knows how to write, and she knows how to write human emotion, and delve into how humans would react to situations.

The mystery kind of dissapointed me, but I won't tell you, because I won't be spoiling anything. It's not that it was bad, but it's just . . . I can't say. If you've read the book, you know the outcome of the clues, and I expected it to be completely different, yet at the same time, I loved that she chose that direction.

The characters feel fully realized, and real. They're not the most likeable people, which I find is the trend with her characters (similar to that of Sara Zarr, who I saw Tatiana compare her to, and I totally see why), is not to really make them likeable, but I still loved and cared for them anyway. Just something to know before going in.

I loved the book. I loved Cracked Up to Be. I love Courtney Summers.

Go read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall for Anything.

05/10/2012 page 5

Karen I want to read Unwind...has been on my TBR list for over a year now...

Kyle Karen wrote: "I want to read Unwind...has been on my TBR list for over a year now..."

You should, it's great! One of the better dystopians published recently.

Karen Just requested it from my library... :)

Emily May In my opinion, Some Girls Are is her best :)

Kyle Emily wrote: "In my opinion, Some Girls Are is her best :)"

Good to hear! That's the last one I have to read (and the one I actually wanted the most, but the one I'm having the most difficulty finding). I preferred this over Cracked Up to Be, but just because on Amazon, some review from School Library Journal that was listed under the Editorial Reviews decided to give away what happened that made Parker the way she was, so that may have lessened the impact of the book.

Until I have Some Girls Are (and read it) I won't be looking at Amazon reviews. :)