Greg Bates's Reviews > The Wind Through the Keyhole

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from April 28 to 29, 2012

TWTtK

I never realized how much I missed the world of Stephen King's Dark Tower novels until I got the opportunity to enter it again. While anyone like myself who secretly yearns to hear more of the world Roland and his ka-tet journey across will likely eat this side-story to the DT universe up, I can't imagine newcomers to the series (or anyone who isn't already a rabid fan) to enjoy it.

TWTtK picks up where Wizard and Glass left off - Roland and company have left Blaine the Mono behind and are well on their way to Calla Bryn Sturgis and DT 5 when a sudden storm strands our heroes in an abandoned village. To help pass the night, Roland tells them another story - which convieniently picks up right after the story he told in Wizard and Glass, in which he and another Gunslinger visited an outlying town to hunt down a murderous, shapeshifting skin-man. This story (aptly titled "The Skin-Man") frankly isn't very great, and exists almost solely as a framing device for the novel's second story, the titular "Wind Through the Keyhole", as told by Young Roland WITHIN the first story. You can tell that King thought this "story inside a story" milieu was very, very clever - but it feels less like a clever storytelling device than a way to pad out the story he really DID want to tell out to novel length. To his credit, the title fable is very good - it's about 120 pages of classic Dark Tower quest novel madness as young Tim wanders the weird and wonderful Endless Forest (at the behest of a wicked man with the initials RF, natch) in search for a cure for his mother's blindness. This is the part of the novel King "had such a fun" time with, it's just a shame the rest of it isn't quite up to snuff. TWTtK isn't quite in the league of the rest of King's fantasy output, but thankfully it's not the godawful cash-grab I was worried it might be.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Greg Bates Sidenote: if nothing else, this book has totally convinced me its past time to reread Dark Tower.