Rose's Reviews > Hit and Run

Hit and Run by Lawrence Block

Sep 14, 08

bookshelves: mysteries
Read in July, 2008

J.P. Keller -- if you ask him what it stands for, he'll say "Just Plain Keller" -- is a guy with an unusual job: hitman. He's had enough of the business, however, and now he's taken on one last job before his retirement. Unfortunately, while he's waiting in a small town for the go-ahead from his employer, he seems a breaking news bulletin -- the governor has been assassinated. Even more unfortunately, the photo the news stations are flashing of the shooting suspect is very, very familiar ... Although this is the latest installment in a series about this stamp-collecting hitman, it was the first book I'd read from this author -- although I never felt lost from having not read the previous titles. The style and characterization of this read is outstanding -- although the bulk of the novel simply consists of Keller running, with the plot not really picking back up until the last fifty pages, you are made interested enough in this character that you'll keep turning the pages simply to find out what happens to him. Not necessarily the sort of mystery I generally read, I loved this book for its suspense and spot-on narrative voice. A great read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hit and Run.