Jonathan's Reviews > Travels in Siberia

Travels in Siberia by Ian Frazier

M 50x66
Apr 28, 2012

it was ok

A travel book by someone who clearly hates to travel. Tempered slightly with self-effacement, his incessant whining and intermittent panic attacks make for a grating journey. By the middle of the book one is left empathizing heavily with his unfortunate guides. He would have been better off learning how to politely toss back a few shots of vodka than his hours spent studiously attempting to learn the Russian language. His autistic obsession with museums and prison camps might have been a source of comedy, if he had the courage to laugh at himself more than once.

That said, I still actually like Ian Frazier. He comes across as very human, and I share much of his passion for the grand story Russia. I somehow finished the entire book (yes, one of my greater moral failings - I finish many things that I never should have started in the first place), and at the end my greatest disdain is reserved for the editor - or for the author for not submitting to one. There was enough material here for a decent book - the publisher just needed to slap Ian in the face a few times to get his creative juices flowing because clearly what might have happened on his travels in siberia would be far more interesting than the dull, unobscured truth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels in Siberia.