Raph's Reviews > The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

Apr 28, 12

Pretty good book, but a little to lefty for my taste (as opposed to Post-Left, which is my taste). Naomi Klein helps narrate an expose on the Elite's wide-open white-paper conspiracy against the rest of humanity through the metaphor of gruesome medical-establishment torture by the CIA. Unfortunately, her analysis relies on the old paradigm of 'greed bad' and fails to take into account class interests. In her cosmology, there is an elite, but they are singularly obsessed with making profit, and are 'privatizing' (I prefer feudalizing) all public works in their ideological quest for "free-market" capitalism and personal profit. According to her, their ideological gestalt doesn't go beyond making profit. I know she's informed enough or smart enough, however, to know that what is driving the global razing and engineered collapse of civilization isn't greed, but power. The Elite make the rules, and print the money, and there is no reason for them to want more money. At a point, accumulation of money plateaus and becomes worthless. The law of diminishing returns: a dollar means less to John D Rockefeller than to the beggar on the off-ramp. The Elite are so firmly entrenched in government (more importantly culture), that their motives are always more power over the sovereign individual. They have no interest in "stealing" the wealth of the "middle-class" (as the Democracy Now!/George Soros/Warren Buffet crowd love to frame it), but rather in dissipating the wealth of humanity to enslave and exterminate us. This dissipation of wealth - not theft - is the name of the game. The New Eugenics are right in our faces, and a digital North Korea is the lynchpin, and in clear view. This book is part of figuring out the puzzle (she provided many easily placable pieces, actually), and lays out the Elite's economic blueprint and methods concisely for us (think Greece, Argentina, Katrina, etc). It is definitely worth the read on that basis alone.

On a side-note, Kurt Cameron (that born-again lunatic from "Growing Pains") turns out to be the son of one of the CIA's most notorious torture doctors. Who knew.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shock Doctrine.