Susan's Reviews > Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: office-book-club
Read from May 26 to June 01, 2012

I liked this book and thought it was great that a book club could keep going for over 30 years and result in such close friendships for its members, and for their children as well. (Although living in the same neighborhood probably helped with that!)

The book addressed many of the serious issues of the times the characters lived in through their stories, and I found myself crying several times as I read. The characters were so well developed that I could understand why they had made their decisions to keep the secrets they did, although I didn't necessarily agree with all of them.

One thing that I thought the book needed, though, would have been a little more discussion of the books. The club's book selection for the month was on every chapter heading, but most weren't mentioned in the chapters. Since I am not familiar with many of those books, I wasn't sure whether knowing the plots of the books the club discussed was supposed to help the reader to understand these characters better, or to relate to this story better, or whether the selections were just based on what was popular at the time. If someone was reading this book to get ideas for what to read, I'm not sure that enough information was presented about most of the club's selections to inspire people to read those books!

I have to say that I laughed so hard when one of Audrey's meetings was described in such great detail!! (although it didn't make me want to read that month's selection!!)

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons.

Quotes Susan Liked

Lorna Landvik
“What I had come to love about book club (besides the fabulous desserts and free liquor) was how in hearing so many opinions about the same book, your own opinion expanded, as if you'd read the book several times instead of just once.”
Lorna Landvik, Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons