Michele's Reviews > The Hunt

May 24, 12

bookshelves: format-arc, format-ebook, genre-young-adult, 2012-50bookpledge
Read from May 01 to 23, 2012

This, and other reviews can be found on my blog Just a Lil Lost

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ (3.5/5 stars)

The "Hunt" that this book's title refers to is the Heper Hunt; a once in a lifetime opportunity to partake in a game to hunt humans, Known as hepers to this society of sunlight-fearing savages, these humans live blissfully unaware of the impending hunt. They live in protected community, being free to roam during the day when everyone is asleep, and protected from their hunters at night by a dome that encircles their living space. Gene always knew he wasn't like the others, but to the strong urging of his parents, he had a meticulous routine to hide his true identity to his fanged peers. Staying under the radar was his main goal until his number was selected as one of the few in a lottery for participants in the Heper Hunt. Now, he must keep up the ruse among a group that's hungry for human blood.

While Fukuda doesn't outright call them vampires, that's basically what this blood-hungry society is. A heart-pounding adventure of a guy trying to hide everything that makes him human from everyone around him. As simple as it may seem, I really liked the fact that the main character was a male. I've read so many YA books that have females in the lead role that it was a surprisingly refreshing change of pace for The Hunt to feature a male lead.

The world that Fukuda has created is a well thought-out, skewed parallel of one that we know. It blends a world where there are high-tech computers and equipment with the use of a horse and carriage for transportation. The humans/hepers are seen as undomesticated savages who seem to make strange noises from their throats, a description of singing which I found to be quite humorous.

With seemingly tongue-in-cheek observations that us readers can enjoy, The Hunt is at times funny, other times gory but always an edge-of-your-seat ride that will keep you racing to find out what happens. I didn't initially realize there was to be a sequel, but I'm definitely glad that there will be! The second installment, The Prey, is due out in 2013.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt.

05/05/2012
05/18/2012
59.0% "Ack. That's disgusting."
show 2 hidden updates…