Carol's Reviews > The Great Northern Express: A Writer's Journey Home

The Great Northern Express by Howard Frank Mosher

Apr 28, 12

Recommended to Carol by: Booktopia 2012 Author
Read from April 19 to 27, 2012

4 stars - I really liked The Great Northern Express...and how could I not? The Great Northern Express is at its soul what good old fashioned story telling is all about, a heart-felt skill that may soon be lost.

Howard Frank Mosher invites us on this special journey as he recovers from radiation therapy after a diagnosis with prostate cancer which leaves him staring his own mortality in the face. Not one to sit idly by and wallow in self pity, Howard jumps in his 20 year old Chevy Celebrity, dubbed The Loser Cruiser and sets off on the great American indie book store tour. Weaving the joy of the ride across America with the story of how he grew his roots in northern Vermont in the early 60's , we become privy to what gives Mosher his will to laugh, love and live. Though he sets off on this adventure alone, it's not to say he has no company on is way.

There's nothing like small town America. There's nothing like a great indie book store. Mosher captures both with humor and respect. Well, mostly respect. There's a few stories that are borderline, as in one in which he describes his early days of teaching and his plan to direct his students in a rendition of Our Town with results that go sourly awry.

I'm not quite certain how much of Mosher's stories are embellished but I know the warm feeling I got reading these vignettes rang true.

As for the prognosis of Mr. Mosher's prostate cancer, the jury may still be out. Suffice it to say he's with us still, heartily laughing, writing and living his life. As for the fate of his Loser Cruiser, you'll have to read the book to find out.

20,000+ miles later and a book of memories, Howard Frank Mosher is welcomed home. Long live Mr. Mosher, long live his stories!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Northern Express.

Chris Ok, now I can comment! Great review, Carol, wasn't this a blast! Took me three-four days, in the middle of the week no less, to breeze through this. Loved it! I forgot to mention he referred to himself, in the third person, often as "Harold Who." That made me laugh. :-)