Claire McAlpine's Reviews > The Maid and the Queen: The Secret History of Joan of Arc

The Maid and the Queen by Nancy Goldstone

May 12, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, france
Read from April 28 to May 08, 2012

It was interesting to learn of the role of Yolande of Aragon, her mother in law Marie of Blois and how women were used as pawns in the negotiation of peace between those detined to inherit these lands of Europe, so women were the peacemakers in more ways than one and Joan of Arc's way quite different from that of the nobility.

However, in between the things that interested me and stood out in terms of learning was some drudgery in trying to get through it. Actually, I ended up wishing that the story had been fictionalised so that at least we could enter the emotional lives of the women, which does so help in getting us through battles and conflicts.

I thought this story had so much potential, but it was really slowed down by the distance it kept from the charcters it represented, but then it was non-fiction, I just wish it had been a little more creative non-fiction.

Read my full review at'Word By Word'
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maid and the Queen.

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Burns Interesting review but reading words like "has potenial", "..some drudgery.." and "more creative" I will have to let this book pass me by. Recently struggeled to get through Caesar's Women, one struggle is enough for the time being!

Claire McAlpine I just finished writing up the review on my blog and given your comments, reading the review might be sufficient, but I am sure that lovers of non-fiction history will enjoy it. It made me realise that I do like a well researched historical read, but I love it when the author actually channels the characters so we invest in them and their experiences rather than just "know" about them.