Cindy Crawford's Reviews > Bloodshot

Bloodshot by Cherie Priest

May 02, 12

Read from April 28 to May 01, 2012

A master thief who is also a vampire? I love the premise, and the book didn't let me down. Raylene has been a vampire for 80 years, and since she doesn't belong to one of the vampire Houses, the book doesn't get bogged down in vampire politics. In fact, for most of the book the only other vampires mentioned are the ones who were captured and experimented on years before by some secret government agency/military group. Raylene has been hired by a survivor of the experiments, a vampire blinded by them. He needs for her to steal the papers detailing the experiments on him so his doctor can find a way to restore his sight.

Unfortunately, someone else has already stolen the documents, and when Raylene starts looking into where the papers are now, she ends up the subject of a huge and scarily efficient manhunt. She does find the person who took the papers--an ex-Navy Seal/drag queen whose sister was also a victim of the experiments. Adrian/Sister Rose is the best character in the book, and I hope in future books we see more of him.

This is a fast-paced, action-packed mystery, that still allows for some character development, although I'd like to learn more about the characters--maybe in the next book. There's also violence in the book. Raylene is matter-of-fact about being a vampire, and while she isn't a monster out prowling the streets, she is deadly and she does have a tendency to see some people as food. She's also a loner with OCD who tends to act impulsively. My one tiny quibble with the book is that Raylene is almost too flippant, which as the first person narrator can get a little tiring.

Bloodshot comes to a satisfying, though bloody, end, but still leaves part of the mystery open, a strand I hope gets picked up in the next book, which I've already started reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodshot.