Shaz Goodwin's Reviews > To Turn Full Circle

To Turn Full Circle by Linda Mitchelmore

Apr 28, 2012

Read from May 05 to 09, 2012

We first meet Emma Le Goff as she is recovering from an illness. She’s staying with a neighbour, Mrs Phipps, who appropriates the money left by Dr Shaw to buy her food … so Emma is weak. Not only physically weak from the illness but also from not being nourished!

From the moment Emma steps out to go back to her home, Shingle Cottage, trauma seems to follow her every footstep yet despite that, she is a lead heroine who does not let circumstances affect her spirit and always fights for her own corner.

We meet Seth Jago early in the story … naked to the waist painting the window frames … and the innocence of how they feel about each other. Seemingly destined to be apart from the circumstances in both their lives, there are some poignant moments they share. Matthew Caunter, the fisherman (who may be more than he appears on the surface) also appears early in Emma’s journey. The juxtaposition of Seth and his youth/innocence and Matthew with his maturity/confidence only adds to the story (in my opinion). The third male lead, Rupert Smythe, is a character I could understand even if I didn’t like him very much for his arrogance and expectations!

Written in the third person, the reader is able to get under the skin of the main characters. The story flows and I experienced sadness/grief, frustration at misunderstandings, justice for wrongs done and hope/satisfaction! The figurative language is exactly right for the period it is written, making comparisons to the way of life. I enjoyed dipping into the fashions and the social history and social hierarchy of this time period.

To Turn Full Circle is more than an historical romance. Family is a strong theme as well as a small fishing community. For me, it is also about a strong-spirited young woman, alone, making her way in a world ruled by men.

We end the story at a beginning. The first in a trilogy, I can’t wait to see where life will take Emma Le Goff next!

I would like to thank the publishers, Choc Lit for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Turn Full Circle.

05/07/2012 page 203