Morgan's Reviews > The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

Apr 28, 12

Read in April, 2012

The Scorch Trials is the sequel to The Maze Runner, by James Dashner. These two books follow the story of Thomas and his friends, known as the Gladers, as they escape from the maze imprisoning them in the first book and are dropped in the desert in the second. WICKED, the organization behind all of this, has set up trials and Variables for the group of boys to test them. The boys are all superior to normal humans in some way, and the Variables mess with them until boys drop out or die. How many ever of the boys are left after WICKED has finished with their trials will most likely be the start of a superior human race. In the first book, there is only one group of people, the Gladers. In the second book, Thomas and the Gladers find out that they are not the only group of subjects. They are Group A, and there is a Group B. However, Group B is not made up of boys. They are girls. The Scorch Trials follows the two groups as they fight their way through the Scorch (the desert region WICKED put them in) and get to the safe haven before the Flare, a disease that slowly drives you insane to the point you are more animal than human and start eating people, consumes them and kills them. Can Thomas, the Gladers, and the strange collection of girls from Group B make it?
I loved this book. I stayed up two nights in a row to finish it because the book really roped me in. The characters are not relatable in the sense that none of the rest of us has been stuck in a man-eating maze before, but the writing style made me feel like I was there.
I would recommend this book to fans of dystopian novels and The Hunger Games in particular. Both girls and boys should read this book because the two main characters are a boy and a girl named Thomas and Teresa. I think that kids 11 and up would like this book. I would go even a little younger, but there is a substantial amount of violence, and if it was a movie, disturbing images.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.