Carrie's Reviews > Logan's Outlaw

Logan's Outlaw by Elaine Levine

May 04, 12

bookshelves: library-has-copy, action-adventure, american-historical, historical, ptsd, read-2012, road-trip, western
Read from May 03 to 04, 2012

Review on AAR 4/27/12

Grade C-

I read an DIK review (http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookRev...) on AAR about this book and immediately added it to my to-read list. I was excited the library had a copy so I could read it immediately. Imagine my surprise when I found the writing in this book to be stiff and simplistic, with short choppy sentences and lots of telling. While the content and some vocabulary is geared toward an adult audience, the writing feels about middle school reading level at most. The dialogue is wooden, and the characters say things that no frontiersman (or woman) would have thought about uttering.

The basic plot was good, and the backstory for the characters was interesting and even emotionally moving. But what could have been an incredibly deep, emotional book is turned almost trite by the overly simplified, overly dramatic writing.

This book reminded me somewhat of Linda Lael Miller's writing, so if you enjoy that author you may enjoy this.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Logan's Outlaw.