Kel Born's Reviews > Storm Front

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: magic, urban-fantasy, audiobook, paperback
read count: 10+

The amusement factor of this book is so high that I have actually purchased it 5 times... and that's not counting the times I've specifically purchased it as a gift. I loan books, and I always seem to want to read it again when it's not on the shelf anymore.

Harry Dresden is a believable, internally consistent, geeky, self-depreciating wizard who has set up shop in modern-day Chicago. He even has an advert in the phone book. His life is hard because he cares. He cares about people he knows, he cares about people he doesn't know, he cares about fairness and he cares about animals. He is completely willing to step between people (or puppies, but that's another story) and the things that go bump in the night.

And that's when all the fun begins.

Things do go bump in the night. And have their hearts explode in the night. And it's obviously magic, so the cops (in the form of tiny-but-fierce Lt. Murphy) show up and ask Harry to explain how it was done. Of course at that point, Harry is caught between the rock (paycheck, and the need to pay rent and eat) and the hard place (laws of magic, and the breaking thereof, and death threats). Hijinks ensue, and much fun is had, at least by the reader.

This book is (to me) inherently part of the larger series, but it can stand alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Front.