Tara's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

May 03, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, kindle, young-adult
Read from May 01 to 03, 2012

Wow. This book was seriously a non-stop rollercoaster of action, starting exactly where Divergent left off. The continuity was fantastic – it was almost like starting the next chapter rather than starting the next book, and that really worked for me. Admittedly, I haven’t long read Divergent, but I think it would have worked well even if you read the first book a long while a
go, just because of the way Roth transports the reader right back into the dystopian Chicago she’s created.

As in the last book, Tris makes for an awesome female lead. I like the fact that in this book she has somewhat of a struggle with who and what she is. She’s sixteen – I think most sixteen year olds have to spend some time exploring their character, and this is portrayed well without turning into a teen-angst type piece. I also like the way that as a reader, you really end up feeling like your in Tris’ head, and you can understand how and why she makes the decisions she does. Of course, Four/Tobias (more commonly known as Tobias in this book) is still as awesome as he was in the previous book – I think he may actually be my next serious book crush. As with Tris, we gain much more insight into Four as a character, and I’ve got to admit, I’m impressed with the level of depth all the characters in this book seem to have.

Tris and Four’s relationship, I felt, was also tackled well. it’s always there, in the background, but unlike in some other novels, it didn’t become the be-all and end-all of the story. I appreciated that, and I like the gradual trust-building and tension-building between them.

Obviously, in this book we learn more as well about what it means to be Divergent, and I have to admit, I was impressed with the scientific explanations given by the Erudite for the differences between Divergent people and everyone else. Admittedly, I think this fascination was probably due to the fact that I studied Psychology at University, and therefore spend a lot of my time reading about brain structure and whatever else, but still. I thought it was well incorporated and relevant, without being overpowering. Basically, it wouldn’t have mattered if it wasn’t there, but for me it was just a little extra thing that worked really well.

Basically, what I’m trying to say in this giant ramble of a review, is that I really did enjoy this book, and it was seriously worth all the hype and anticipation surrounding it. If you haven’t started this series, what are you waiting for? Can’t wait for the next one!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.