Clay's Reviews > A Long Way Down

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

May 01, 12

This book, as many others, is not for everyone. I can completely understand that many people find those characters annoying and the whole story pointless. Nevertheless I am of the opinion that this book can give you hope. Of course this seems to be a silly thing to say considering the topic and all those miserable characters.

But let me explain. Apparently Johnny Depp called the characters some of the most outstanding he's ever had the pleasure of reading. And I can agree. They're all really fucked up, but also lovable. Sometimes I find myself grabbing the book just to read a page or another to have one of them accompany me. Even though they're really, like REALLY, fucked up they are also absolutely hilarious. Especially Martin. He's so bitter but extremely funny. And I think that the most important thing about this book, apart from the great writing, is that you learn to look at situations with much more humour. You could have easily written a real downer with the same characters. But you look at things in a different way.

It's also remarkable that in fact hardly anything happens that makes their life better, but they have each other and you have them too in a certain way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long Way Down.