Sam at A Journey Through Pages's Reviews > Blackwood

May 01, 12

bookshelves: horror
Read from April 27 to 28, 2012

Review from A Journey Through Pages

I am not proud, I know that my blog isn't so big as of now and that galleys I request on NetGalley are 99% going to be rejected, so when my request for Blackwood was approved I was both incredibly excited and apprehensive. Why had I gotten chosen? Was the book not that good?

Well my worries were for naught, Blackwood is a very good book, so thank you Strange Chemistry for allowing me to read this as an ARC.

This book cleverly plays off of an existing bit of American history, combines it with European legends and grand old John Dee, who should really pop up more in young adult novels in my opinion, he makes an excellent villain.

Blackwood sends chills down your spine, keeps you on the edge of your seat, all while unfolding a clever storyline. It is a little bit of horror, a little bit of mystery and paranormal and a little bit of young adult. The storyline does not follow a predictable path and really kept me guessing.

I personally feel as if this book holds up very well against many of the young adult books coming out this year, and it has slipped its way into being one of my favourites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackwood.